I can barely do 2 sit-ups, my 90-year-old dad can do 200: Clooney
Sugandha Rawal and Syeda Eba Fatima (HINDUSTAN TIMES; November 13, 2022)

The 20th Hindustan Times Leadership Summit 2022 saw actors Anil Kapoor and George Clooney come together for a session, and what ensued was nothing short of a rendezvous of rockstars. From discussing the perks and pitfalls of the fame that comes with their profession to a mutual admiration for each other’s craft and busting some Bollywood moves, the session was every bit entertaining.

‘I pay people to workout for me’
Kapoor remarked how he has never seen the Hollywood actor exercising or working out, and inquired about how he keeps himself fit. The answer to this, Clooney said, is moderation.

“My father can do 200 pushups at 90, I can do just 2. I pay people to workout for me!” he said, adding, “I eat a Mediterranean diet for most part. I try to do everything in moderation, including moderation.”

Constant comparison
As the conversation went ahead, the actors spoke about raising children in the public gaze. The Hollywood actor, who is married to lawyer Amal Clooney, spoke of how one needs to tread the line with caution: “Our kids are born in the lap of luxury. There are a lot of fights they’ll have to pick. They’ve to speak up. We’ve to teach them empathy,” said the father of two.

Here, Kapoor spoke about the transition to being a grandfather, admitting he’s still processing this new phase. “I’m connecting with my grandchild, Vayu, much quicker than I connected with my children,” he said, adding his kids are still compared to him.

But, that is something Clooney feels may pan out differently for him: “Your son would’ve been 20 when you were 40. They’re going to be compared to you. That’s not going to happen with me, because I’m going to be 90 when my kids come out of school. The mirror won’t be held up to my kids in the same way. Hopefully that’s an advantage. We’re going to try to raise them in a very normal life.”

India diaries
“I have to say, India is such a beautiful country,” said Clooney as he reminisced moments from his trips to the country. He went on to shake a leg with Kapoor on the latter’s The Punjaabban Song, much to the delight of the audience.

The ‘S’ word
Kapoor also touched upon Clooney’s absence from the virtual world. “I’ll tell you a little secret. Every once a while, I like to have a glass of wine or two. I don’t need to pull out my phone after a few glasses of wine, text a funny joke, wake up and have my career be over,” the latter said, adding, “I don’t need that kind of access.”

You look like a 29-year-old: George Clooney tells Anil Kapoor
Sharing his admiration for Kapoor, Clooney said, “In my world, you are a rockstar. When I am doing an interview with you, I am thinking about your films, from Mission Impossible to Slumdog Millionaire. It is an honour to talk to you. You look unbelievable for a 29-year-old.”

I can barely do 2 sit-ups, my 90-year-old dad can do 200: Clooney