Social media followers are as important as acting skills today: Amol
Arundhuti Banerjee (HINDUSTAN TIMES; November 5, 2022)

Actor Amol Parashar, who was recently seen in the web series Tripling Season 3, feels that talent alone may not be enough to make it big in the OTT space. One’s social media popularity, he says, is equally important.

“In today’s day and age, it is not always about talent, but also the bankability of an actor. And the same is applicable to OTT projects as well. It is about the combination of talent and followers on Instagram. Earlier, it has happened to me multiple times, that even though a director wanted to cast me, the producer would not take me because I was not popular,” says Parashar.

Now, however, things have changed for the actor, who played Chitvan in Tripling. He tells us, “Now, I also have a certain number of followers. People think that I can generate some views for their content. But I am okay with it, as long as I am doing the work of my choice. Of course, if I am not a good actor, no one will watch me.”

And while there is always a fear of being typecast into a certain kinds of roles, Parashar says he has been fortunate in this matter. “After the success of Tripling, I feared that I would get all characters like Chitvan; but thankfully no. I think it has also happened because people in Mumbai, especially casting directors and senior actors, have seen me on stage as I used to do theatre,” says the Feels Like Ishq actor.

And while he is grateful for all the love, he says things are not always easy for an actor who wants to do work that excites them. Parashar, who portrayed the character of freedom fighter Shaheed Bhagat Singh in the critically acclaimed film, Sardar Udham (2021), says, “My friends and family say that after my performance in the film, I should be getting more work. But in reality, that’s not what is happening. In the recent past, some opportunities came my way, but I say no to a project when I can’t see myself in the world of the story.”