Lara Dutta, In Her 'Naughty 40s', Is Embracing Her True Self And How

Rachana Dubey (BOMBAY TIMES; November 5, 2022)

In a career spanning 26 years, the last five years have been the busiest for Lara Dutta Bhupathi. The actress, who began a new inning in recent years with web shows and movies, believes that age has given her more freedom to play every character that appeals to her. In a chat with Bombay Times, she spoke about juggling different roles as an entrepreneur, a mother, a wife and an artiste without sacrificing one for the other. Excerpts:

The entertainment business has changed a lot in the last two-three years, with the digital medium seeing massive growth. What’s your take on it?
I think it’s fantastic! The OTT platforms have changed the landscape for the better. As an artiste, I find the writing varied, in-depth, and experimental, and there’s definitely a lot for women to do. I think I am possibly doing the best work of my career right now. The last decade has been busier than the one before that. The amount and quality of work have been really good over the last two to three years. I am enjoying this new phase of my professional journey. Among the films and shows that I’m doing, I’ve picked exciting and challenging roles to play.

Do you think that the recent content trend that we are seeing is breaking the age barrier for actors who are still raring to go?
Growing older has liberated me as an actor. I don’t need to fit into any box anymore. Being a leading lady and a former Miss Universe, I was always viewed from a glamorous lens. Age has liberated me in terms of playing characters and roles. The acting muscles existed, but they were not utilised until a few years ago. Everyone is trying to strike a fine balance between all their roles at home and work. In all of this, it’s important to find a partner who supports you with everything. I was fortunate to find that in Mahesh (Bhupathi) and we make it work together.

You took a break when you had your child. Now that you’re back in the thick of things, how is your daughter Saira reacting to it?
Saira has always seen me as a working mom. Yes, there was a little phase when I had taken a bit of a sabbatical when she was really young, but I have been on the go, and I would travel with her during Mahesh Bhupathi’s tours. She has grown up seeing me as a busy, working mother. I need to let her know that I’m passionate about my work, I enjoy it and the financial stability and independence that come with it.I hope she imbibes these thoughts, too.

Today, we see several actresses venturing into other businesses, be it film production or launching their brands in the beauty or fashion space. Is it difficult for women in show business to make headway as entrepreneurs?
It was a good thing that I had produced a film back in the day before I became an entrepreneur. Any kind of prejudice that I had to face here, was far greater and harder for me in the film business. It made me thick-skinned. In the film business, they all wanted to have creative discussions with me, but it made the men very uncomfortable to have any financial and money-led chats with me. It’s far easier to be a businesswoman in another space altogether. Gradually, people are seeing that actors bring value to a business and also insight. They’re investing in companies and being smart about their money.

You produced your first film, the comedy Chalo Dilli, in 2011. Is it true that you are all set to revisit that space now?
I never left that space. I’ve been a producer since then, and we have done a lot of content in the advertising and digital content verticals. The production house is functional, but I am not a producer who makes formula, big-budget films, one after the other. At the moment, I’m active as an artiste, and I need to balance things out. I don’t intend to burn out. Striking a balance between my roles as a mother and wife, an entrepreneur and an artiste, is essential to me. When things are right, and the timing is perfect, and the universe conspires, I will make another film, but for now, my plate is full.