I still don’t know  how the industry works, says Bhumika
Syeda Eba Fatima (HINDUSTAN TIMES; November 30, 2022)

Bhumika Chawla has been working simultaneously in Hindi as well as regional film industries. But, the actor says people in Bollywood assume she has stopped working altogether, as a result of which she hasn’t been getting enough work.

“Either I am not a good actor or my PRs are not making enough calls,” quips Chawla, who was last seen in the film Sita Ramam.

The actor, who made her mark in Hindi films with the Salman Khan-starrer Tere Naam (2003), admits that things aren’t the same anymore. “I don’t know how the industry works. Like, if I want to work with someone on a streaming giant, I don’t know how to enter that zone. Perhaps, I could put up a post on my [social media] page, saying, ‘I’m looking for work, somebody give me work’. I don’t know who to approach. I still feel like I am a beginner, a newcomer, a student,” she shares.

However, she still enjoys a loyal fan following, having starred in the Hindi films Run (2004), M.S. Dhoni: The Untold Story (2016) as well as several Tamil and Telugu outings. “I’ve spent almost 23 years [in films] and I can credit only God, the audience and the industry people who have been kind enough to give me work. I still don’t know how the show business works... It’s like, ‘Let’s go on social media, let’s make a few calls, let’s attend a few parties’. You don’t really know what’s going to work,” she tells us, adding that she is still hungry for good work.

“I want to work with people who can bring out the best in me. I am not going to sit down and not want to grow, not just in terms of work, but also as a person,” Chawla wraps up.