‘I AM VERY
EXCITED
TO SPEND
DIWALI
ON SET’

Rachana Dubey (BOMBAY TIMES; October 19, 2022)

Sanya Malhotra’s life changed gears over the last two years, with several releases on OTT platforms and a theatrical release earlier this year. She’s currently working on a host of projects, including the remake of The Great Indian Kitchen, Atlee’s next with Shah Rukh Khan and Meghna Gulzar’s Sam Bahadur. In a chat with BT, she talks about how she interprets her roles, some of the unputdownable offers and more. Excerpts:

Diwali is around the corner. After a busy year, do you have plans to head home to Delhi?
I’m shooting non-stop. So, I’ve not really drawn out any plans. But it’s exciting to think that I might spend Diwali in front of the camera. It will be magical if that happens. If I have a day off, I will go back home to Delhi and spend some time with my family, eat ghar ka khaana and participate in all the revelry. My perfect Diwali is being around my loved ones. I love all the shebang — rangoli, decoration, making diyas and the food. If I am not doing this, I’m sure I will be shooting in front of the camera.

The Great Indian Kitchen’s remake went on floors recently. With three distinct films to juggle, how do you switch between the emotional zones of your roles?
I do many things that I keep changing depending on the characters I’m playing. Like I’ve worked in a movie called Kathal, for which I drew inspiration from the interactions I had with actual policewomen in Gwalior. I could understand their approach to life and who they are beyond the uniforms that give them authority and power. They’re human, too. The idea is to get to know characters psychologically and emotionally.

Sometimes, I create memory banks for them. Like I wrote diary entries for Sandhya’s character in Pagglait. I didn’t have any experience or any emotional reference point for her. So, I started writing, and I ended up writing poetry, too, which I don’t write in my personal life. I imagine my character’s daily life, put myself in their shoes and think of what would have happened in their lives before. I love doing this exercise where I go deep into their emotional coffers.

When it comes to remakes, I think of my own way of interpreting the character, matching it with the director’s vision and the space of the film. Like The Great Indian Kitchen is something I was looking forward to diving deep into. The original was fantastic, and Nimisha Sajayan was so good in it. But I don’t know how to improvise on that. And that’s also not the intention. I just want to interpret it well without a sense of competition. I treat it as a new story and character.

What drew you to play Siloo Manekshaw in Sam Bahadur, where Sam Manekshaw will be the focal point of the story? Also, there’s isn’t much information on his wife in the public domain.
I just wanted to work with Meghna Gulzar. And you have to trust a director like her who doesn’t take any character lightly. Each one is important. I knew that I would learn something new when I work with her. It was an unputdownable offer. I’ve started shooting for it, and it’s a different experience to surrender myself to her vision. I know she’ll pull me out of my comfort zone, and I look forward to that.

The industry is in a state of uncertainty, where there is an ongoing discussion and debate over the kind of films that can potentially draw people into a theatre. What do you think about this scenario?
We’re all going through a challenging phase, which means this is the time to explore new things through scripts, new mediums and unique stories. As an industry, it’s important to push one another to do better. No one can survive this individually. It’s time to stand together, and this happens in every business. We have to see what we all can bring to the table. The ecosystem of the industry has expanded and made room for so much that we can do. We need to work on it and good will come out of this. It will pull us out of complacency and push us to experiment. Had I been stubborn about where my films (the platform) were released, my career wouldn’t have been on the upswing. Transition is about being flexible and collaborative. You have to adapt constantly. It’s pretty much like picking up the emotional spaces of different characters at different times. Being flexible pushes me to take up characters that are completely unexpected of me, and yet, people accept what I turn in. People love artistes who push their boundaries.

You have refrained from repeating yourself so far in the work that you choose to do. Isn’t it challenging to keep doing that?
That’s my biggest fear and kabhi na kabhi aisa hoga that I will end up being in a space that I have been in before. Woh main kabhi bhi karna nahi chahti. People say that I’m making unconventional choices. It has been a conscious move to not fit into a box which would’ve been easier to do. There’s so much advice that comes to me from various corners on how to dress a certain way or put things out on social media, which I’ve never followed. I work with a fabulous team that advises me, and there are seniors I reach out to periodically, but eventually, I listen to my gut. I’ve been consistently doing that for the five-six years that I’ve been here. One shouldn’t blame anyone else for anything that goes south, right? I wanted to do every kind of film and character and I have stuck to that. I’ll never put myself in a box, and no one can do that to me.
------------------------------
This year, Sanya Malhotra will be celebrating Diwali with her filmi family, and she has no qualms about it
Sugandha Rawal (HINDUSTAN TIMES; October 19, 2022)

This year, actor Sanya Malhotra will be celebrating Diwali with her filmy family, and she is pretty excited about it. She says being on set is nothing less than a celebration for her, as it reminds her of the passion she has for acting.

The actor will be shooting for the Hindi remake of the critically acclaimed Malayalam movie The Great Indian Kitchen (2021) on Diwali.

“I am very excited to spend this Diwali on the sets of my film because I absolutely love my team and I am having a blast shooting this film. On set wali Diwali will be a very special and a new experience for me,” Malhotra says.

The 30-year-old continues, “This is only because I’m working with such nice people. I am not homesick, but rather I feel at home. I love being on the set. But it’s not that I don’t like being around my family. I get very excited to work on holidays and festivals for some reason. I think it’s because being on set is nothing less than a celebration.”

“I feel extremely grateful around this time. No matter how cliché and cheesy it sounds, but it’s hard to believe that my dreams have actually come true and I’m living my dream life right now,” says the actor, who was last seen in HIT: The First Case.

However, this is not the first time that she will be spending Diwali away from her family. Earlier, while shooting for Dangal (2016) in Ludhiana, she had to be away from her closed ones during the festival. “You find that feeling of solace and being at home only with the people that you’re working with. I’m really looking forward to spending this festival with the team that I’m absolutely loving, and I know that I will have lots of fun,” says the actor.

When not working, her ideal way to celebrate the festival is to spend some time with her family during Diwali and gorge on some home-made food and sweets.

“I’m a homebody. So whenever I’m back in Delhi, around my family and friends, I don’t usually step out. I have a very close circle in Delhi. I just love being at home and around my people. It’s the most grounding thing for me as an actor because I’m constantly working and hopping from one set to the other,” she says, adding, “My perfect Diwali is around my loved ones, eating rajma chawal and mithai, which my mother makes every Diwali”.