yohani manike mage hithe

The Sri Lankan singer, best known for the song Manike Mage Hithe, has moved to the city to pursue a career in Bollywood
Debarati S Sen (BOMBAY TIMES; October 28, 2022)

When Sri Lankan singer-songwriter-rapper Yohani created Manike Mage Hithe last year, little did she know that she would achieve international fame. Much has changed for the young singer since then, and now she is focusing on Bollywood. She has shifted base to Mumbai and is also learning to speak Hindi. In an exclusive interview with BT, she spoke about life in Mumbai and her future plans.

‘IT STILL FEELS LIKE A DREAM’
While Yohani did dream of singing for Hindi films, she didn’t think she would one day shift base to Mumbai. “I honestly didn’t think I would be able to sing for Bollywood. It all still feels like a dream. I’ve grown up listening to Hindi music and watching Bollywood films. I’m a big fan of so many artistes from India, and now I’ve got to work with a few of them. It still feels surreal,” she says.

‘TAKING LESSONS TO GET THE ACCENT RIGHT’
It is not easy singing in Hindi, she admits. “Singing in a different language is quite a challenge. Learning to match the accent changes my vocal texture, so I need to get that right. But I am taking classes and working towards that,” says Yohani.

‘IT IS DISHEARTENING TO SEE UNKIND WORDS ON SOCIAL MEDIA’
Fans, social media and critics do not take kindly to recreated songs and when we ask her for her views on this, Yohani says, “I personally don’t think about these things. If I like a song, I keep listening to it. Whether it is a remix or not does not matter to me. And I’m humbled by all the love and support that I got for Manike Mage Hithe, which is actually just my version of the existing Sinhalese song. I believe when artistes recreate music, they do not do it with any ill intentions. We do our best and put our heart and soul into the work. It is sometimes disheartening to see unkind words on social media. But we have to take it in our stride and strive to be better next time.”

‘I LIKE THREE-WHEELER RIDES IN MUMBAI’
Now that she has been spending a lot of time in Mumbai because of work, we ask her about the city. She says, “I like the three-wheeler rides (autorickshaw) in Mumbai, and I love how my team makes me feel at home here. The traffic is the only thing I dislike! I’d love to have my family here with me. But sadly, I don’t think they are going to move. My sister is a doctor and her work is mostly in Sri Lanka. Of course, they will come here from time to time to visit.”

‘EVEN THOUGH I DON’T FULLY UNDERSTAND HINDI, I FEEL THE MUSIC AND IT IS AMAZING’
Yohani has a long list of people she is a fan of in the Indian music industry. “I’m a huge fan of A R Rahman, Pritam, Arijit Singh, Sonu Nigam, Shreya Ghoshal, Sunidhi Chauhan... the list goes on. Even though I don’t fully understand Hindi, I feel their music and it is amazing. I aspire to have a body of work like them one day.”