JAB KHUD PE GUZARTI
HAI TAB PATA CHALTA
HAI, SAYS FALGUNI

Pathak wishes she knew about owning music rights in the ’90s
Samarth Goyal (HINDUSTAN TIMES; September 26, 2022)

Of late, fans of Indian pop music have been up in arms about the recently released track, O Sajna, which is a re-imagined version of singer Falguni Pathak’s hit ’90s track, Maine Payal Hai Chhankai. The new song, composed by Tanishk Bagchi and sung by Neha Kakkar, has irked Pathak, who wishes she had the right to take legal action.

She took to social media to express her disappointment. “What else could have I done? I could not take legal action,” Pathak tells us, adding, “I was overwhelmed to see so many people write on social media that they love my music, and they didn’t like this (Kakkar’s) version.”

Pathak said in a recent interview that she “would have taken a legal route” if she could. She tells us that back then, she “didn’t know” the importance of owning music rights, which could have prevented such recreations. “I wish I was aware back then. Jab khud pe guzarti hai tab pata chalta hai. I regret that I didn’t know about it then, otherwise I would have definitely done something about it,” the Yaad Piya Ki Aane Lagi singer says.

Pathak, 53, meanwhile, clarifies that she isn’t averse to the idea of recreations. But she feels that whoever works on a recreated version should be passionate about music and work on the song wholeheartedly, rather than thinking just about its success.

“I don’t mind singing a remake,” she says, when asked if she would like to sing one, given an opportunity. “I am not averse to the idea of remixes and recreations. They have been happening for a long time. But it has to be done with a lot of passion, and the passion has to be only about creating good music. Everything else comes later,” the singer signs off.

Neha Kakkar took to Instagram to hit back at the critics with a cryptic message

”How I feel today.. Very few people in the world get what I have received in life. That too in such a young age. This kind of Fame, Love, Countless Super Hit Songs, Super Duper Hit TV Shows, World Tours, Fans from Little Kids to 80-90 years old people and What Not!! You know why I got all this because of my Talent, Hardwork, Passion and Positivity. So.. Today I just wanna Thank God and Each one of You for giving me what I have today. Thank you!! I am the Most Blessed child of God. Thank you again! Wishing you all a lifetime of Happiness (sic),” singer Neha Kakkar wrote on Instagram.

She also posted, “And for those who’re sooo, Unhappy seeing me HAPPY and SUCCESSFULL. I feel sorry for them. Bechaare.. Plz keep commenting. I won’t even delete them. Coz I know and Everybody knows What NEHA KAKKAR Is!! If talking in such a manner, saying such bad things about me, abusing me.. makes them feel good and if they think it will ruin my day. Then I’m sorry to inform them that I’m too blessed to have bad days (sic).”

REMAKE VS ORIGINAL: THE FIGHT CONTINUES

Composer-singer Anu Malik says, “I am not against anything, but the amalgamation should be a cordial and happy one. I don’t want to insult people, because new talent is also very strong. But I feel the original composer or singer should be involved in the making, and given due credit.”

Singer Sukhwinder Singh asserts that he is not against the remix culture. He says, “If I get an opportunity to sing a recreated version, I would love to because I adore songs of the past and present alike. But one thing that’s criminal is not giving proper credit to the original makers. Whether a portion of a song is used or an entire track, the music director and lyricist should be credited first. Nahin toh the generation is misguided. For instance, if one wants to recreate Mehbooba Mehbooba from Sholay (1975), how can the people reworking it call themselves the music directors of the song?”

Singer Shilpa Rao, on the other hand, urges her peers to create original music: “We have many talented composers, singers, folk artistes as well as classical artistes. I am a big supporter of original music.”.

Inputs by Sugandha Rawal