Falguni Pathak upset with Neha Kakkar's recreation of 'Maine Payal'?
Riya Sharma (BOMBAY TIMES; September 26, 2022)

Remixing an iconic song isn’t new for the music industry. But often original singers have slammed remixed versions of their songs on social media. Recently, when Neha Kakkar released the remixed version of Falguni Pathak’s Maine Payal Hai Chhankai, fans got miffed with the singer for the remixed version. Falguni also shared a few of the comments from fans, showing her displeasure with the new version.

Falguni tells us, “I got to know about the remixed version three-four days back. First reaction achha toh nahi tha, I was like, mujhe bas ulti aani baaki thi, aisa ho gaya tha. Original gaane ki waat laga di.”

She adds that she cannot take any legal action because she does not have the rights to the original song. The OG garba queen says that this song is very close to her heart. “Mujhse zyada meri audience ke kareeb hai. These people have been supporting me and my music for decades. And they’ve been hurt. Meri aankhon mein aansu aa gaye when I saw my fans’ support,” she says.

She urges music composers to retain the originality of the song if they are remixing it. “Video aur picturization mein jo innocence thi, uska pura satyanash kiya hai iss gaane mein. Remixes are happening but do it decently. If you want to reach out to the younger generation, change the rhythm of the song, but don’t make it cheap. Gaane ki jo originality hai, feelings hai, essence hai, innocence hai, keep that. I don’t think I need to do anything; my fans are taking action against it. I am just sharing stories. Why should I keep quiet when they are supporting me? Main kaise chup baithun,” she shares.

We reached out to Neha Kakkar’s team for a response to the online reactions to the remixed version. However, we did not hear back from them till the time of going to press.