‘SUBJECT OF 1984 ANTI-SIKH RIOTS IS RELEVANT EVEN TODAY’

Diljit Dosanjh is proud of his upcoming film that revolves around the sensitive subject, says everyone should know about it
Sugandha Rawal (HINDUSTAN TIMES; August 20, 2022)

After much speculation, singer-actor Diljit Dosanjh has confirmed that he will soon be seen in director Ali Abbas Zafar’s upcoming film, Jogi, which is based on the 1984 anti-Sikh riots. For Dosanjh, working on the film was a personal affair. “I was born in 1984 and I grew up hearing real-life stories about the riots and that era. So, the subject is really important for me. In fact, I had made a Punjabi film, titled Punjab 1984 (2004), on the subject and it won a National Film Award, too,” Dosanjh tells us, adding that the story is relevant even today: “Sabko iss baare mein pata hona chahiye. It’s a sensitive and relevant subject even today.”

The Netflix film, which was shot in India during the first wave of the pandemic, will have an OTT release on September 16 and the actor is excited about it. “Coming on an OTT platform will widen the reach of the story, and that has been the reason for me to do this project. The subject has not been explored in the digital space, yet,” says the 38-year-old actor-singer.

Dosanjh says the title of the film “was picked by Ali sir and it’s my name in the film”, as he admits that he is satisfied with the kind of work he has been doing. “I am busy doing my work. I don’t take any pressure, ki yeh karna hai, woh karna hai, yeh bada setup hai, ismein kaam karna hai… Yeh sab sochke I don’t work. Jo mujhe achha lagta hai, main bas wahi karta hun… That’s why I am satisfied and happy,” he ends.