WE HAVE BEEN
INVITING BAPPA FOR
60 YEARS NOW,
SAYS SHRADDHA

On Ganesh Chaturthi, Shraddha Kapoor talks about bringing Ganpati home and what the festival means to her
Rishabh Suri (HINDUSTAN TIMES; August 31, 2022)

Good vibes only’ announces a neon sign on a wall of actor Shraddha Kapoor’s sea-facing Mumbai home when we enter. And the tastefully decorated house makes up for the slight delay that happens when someone wants to look their best for Bappa. Kapoor, soon to be seen in director Luv Ranjan’s next, looks stunning, as she enters in a traditional red and green saree. She orders modaks, Bappa’s favourite, for us, as we settle down for a tête-à-tête. Excerpts:

Tell us about the place Lord Ganesh holds in your heart.
Bappa holds an extremely special place in my heart. He’s like a friend, who can solve all our issues and make everything right. It (Ganesh Chaturthi) is my favourite time of the year. I celebrate the festival with my family with great pomp and fervour. Every year, we welcome Bappa to our home, eat modaks and sweets, visit the pandals — the whole energy that comes with the festival is amazing.

For how many years have you been celebrating the festival?
We have been inviting Bappa home for almost 60 years now. I fondly remember, my first-ever modak was given to me by my nani. What I love the most about this festival is that I get to catch up with all my relatives during this time. While growing up, all my cousins, aunts and uncles would come to the house and we would do the aarti together, which was simply amazing.

You insisted on doing this shoot with us with an eco-friendly Bappa. When did you decide to only bring an eco-friendly idol home?
Going green and getting an eco-friendly Bappa was actually my aunt, Tejaswini Kolhapure’s (actor-model) suggestion. She was the one who told us about it and we followed it. And I would urge everyone to go eco-friendly and do their bit.

Are there any special wishes that you want Bappa to fulfil this year?
I have nothing to ask for. I just seek his blessings and express gratitude for everything I have and I’ve achieved.

Is there a ritual that you follow during the festival?
Yes, we are doing just that right now — eating modaks (laughs).