Karan Johar feels ‘victimised’ over his birthday bash being called Covid-19 hotspot
HINDUSTAN TIMES (June 16, 2022)

Filmmaker Karan Johar has finally reacted to reports that claimed his 50th birthday party, held on May 25 in Mumbai, was a Coronavirus super-spreader after some attendees tested positive soon after.

In a recent interview with Film Companion, Johar admitted he felt targeted as many events and shoots had been taking place that week. “There were stories and media articles that said that it (his party) became a super-spreader. Now look, not to get technical about it, but we don’t know who contracted it and when because there was a lot happening that week, even in the movie industry. There was another party, there were weddings, there were events, there were shoots, why blame me? Like everything, why does it come down to me?” he said.

Media reports alleging his party was a hotspot came after actors Shah Rukh Khan, Aditya Roy Kapur and Katrina Kaif tested positive for Covid-19 days after attending it.

Johar added that while he didn’t mean to sound like a victim, he did feel “marginally victimized”. “I have nothing to do with this pandemic, I just want to put it out there. It’s not me. I have no connection with the beginning and the origin of this pandemic. So why people wrote what they did, how many people contracted it, did it happen at my party — I’m not saying it, I don’t know,” he said.