Prabhas

BOMBAY TIMES (June 30, 2022)

While there’s no doubt that digital platforms have opened a whole new playing field for actors and filmmakers, the big screen’s lure is undeniable. During the Coronavirus pandemic, digital platforms proved to be the obvious route to release films that were waiting in the wings. Today, while several actors are keen to explore the medium, there are many who plan to venture into that space after waiting it out for a while. 

Prabhas, whose Baahubali franchise proved to be a pan-India blockbuster, isn’t ready for OTT yet. “Maybe it is good to release some films on OTT, I guess it is a safer decision if the filmmakers think that the audience will prefer to watch it at home than in the theatre. Currently, all my films are big-screen releases. Probably in future, I might think about it (exploring the OTT space). I know that we should all evolve, but for another three-four years, I am not thinking about the OTT space. I love the movie theatre and the experience that comes with it. I don’t think I am ready for OTT yet,” says the actor who went on to do films like Saaho and Radhe Shyam that had pan-India appeal.

While the actor continues to keep a distance from the digital platform, like many other actors, he has been stressing how all Indian film industries will have to co-exist. Talking to us earlier, he had said, “I think our films should be categorised first as an Indian film, instead of being identified language-wise. You could say that in recent times, Baahubali became that starting film, but I think we had reached a point where it was bound to happen. As we are all evolving, our films are evolving, too. The fact is that, right now, we are all still in an experimental stage, and it is tough to understand which script will connect with the pan-India audience. Filmmakers are looking at stories with big ideas.”