As Anupamaa gets married to Anuj, Rupali Ganguly recalls her own wedding with Ashwin K Verma; says, 'Ours was hilarious'

Tanvi Trivedi (BOMBAY TIMES; May 21, 2022)

The focus in Anupamaa right now is on Rupali Ganguly’s wedding to Gaurav Khanna. It’s a high point on the show. Rupali has become a bride on TV for the third time. Earlier, she dressed as a bride when she celebrated 25 years of marriage with her first husband Vanraj (Sudhanshu Pandey) in the show and a few years ago, when she acted in Sanjivani.

She says, “Both the times, I became a bride for a brief while and it was not so elaborate as the current wedding is. Personally, I believe in small and simple weddings and my own wedding was a quick and simple one many years ago.”

Rupali married Ashwin K Verma, a corporate professional, in February 2013 at her parents’ home in Worli. She says, “Ashwin and I had decided to get married just two days in advance and I had announced it to my parents. My brother (Bollywood choreographer Vijay Ganguly) was taking a flight out of Mumbai and I had to ask him to stay back. We fixed a date and I was hoping that Ashwin would show up on time. We were planning to do a registered wedding, but then my father (director Anil Ganguly) decided to do the kanyadaan and we called a pandit. That day, Ashwin entered a ‘no entry’ lane and was fined by the police. It was hilarious how he finally landed at my home and the pandit started chanting the mantras from the ground floor till he came to my flat. I had around 99 people at my wedding and it was over in a few minutes. We had a party on the same day at an eatery in Versova for our friends. Ours was a fast, hilarious and super quick wedding. I feel that instead of spending money on big, fat weddings, you should share your happiness by helping the less privileged.”