Sunny Leone's Shoot Day Featured Lots Of Fun And Smashed Pani Puris

Rachana Dubey (BOMBAY TIMES; April 19, 2022)

A decade ago, she was introduced into the Bigg Boss house to add more glam and spike up the ratings. After that, the doors to Bollywood opened up for Sunny Leone and she quickly embraced the opportunities that came her way. In a chat with Bombay Times, she talks about the fast-growing entertainment space in India, how she fits into it all and how the next few years seem packed with the kind of work she always desired to do. Excerpts:

You’re completing a decade of living in India and being a part of the entertainment industry here. What do you think has worked for you and made you turn India into your home?
It has been so amazing. My husband Daniel (Weber) and I could erase some of the bad memories, but it has been a fulfilling decade which we have spent here. It’s been a dream — we’ve gotten into production, films, shows, television and entrepreneurship in different spaces. I love being here and I am very happy about it. A long time ago, Daniel and I were staying at a five-star hotel, our makeshift home. I was shooting for Jism 2 at that time and I met a woman who had told me that once you are here, India will get a hold of you and you will never want to move to another country. She was right! Like it happens to so many people who come here, it happened to me, too.

There is something magical about being in India and being in this industry. This country holds you back in a good way. I remember what that lady said as I complete each year here. I never want to leave and be anywhere else. This is my home. At work, I have tapped into so many different outlets of entertainment. India is one of the fastest emerging countries as far as creating content goes — we’re doing so much of it every single day. It’s unbelievable. If you are a professional and sincere, you will be very busy. If you just focus on work and go back home, and not steal someone else’s hard work, you’ll be home and at peace.

Your web show, Anamika on MX Player, drove home the point that there’s more to you than a glamourous image and fine dancing skills. What took you so long to pick an author-backed part like that?
I can only choose from what’s on the table. Certain projects that came to me, which sounded interesting, did not complete the circle to move forward. We were happy to even get a meeting with Vikram Bhatt. He was kind and generous. And I was floored because it doesn’t happen very often that someone sees me in a completely different light. I have worked with some amazing people in my career, but this was different. It was an immediate yes and I didn’t need more information than he already had. He makes you want to trust him; he is honest and hardworking. The story was compelling, it was outside my comfort zone and I hadn’t had the chance to try that before. Vikram nurtured me in every way possible and he always had so much to share, there is a reason people liked the show. The best part is that he saw me differently; he saw past the glamour and showed me in a unique way. We like actors and want to emulate them because they are glamorous and I don’t want to take away from that, but Vikram saw something. I am honoured that he did.

Your superhero film, Shero, is one of the four films you’ve worked on down South. We’ve seen a growing trend of Bollywood actors doing multilingual films. What attracts you to work across film industries?
I will have to go back to what I said about picking from what I’m offered. Shero is another space that people have not imagined me in. It’s a psychological thriller with action and crazy stuff thrown in. I have one film which allows me to play a glamorous part, and two others, one of which has some really big names in it. I’ve just finished shooting for one at Tirupati.

Did you plan for your career to move this way? Did you ever set a game plan for yourself?
I don’t think you can plan all this. I find it interesting when people say that they are waiting for the right project to come their way. How do we ever know what a right project is going to look like? I am language and industry agnostic. I am okay with work in any language as long as it’s good work. We are in a time where content is dubbed in languages that are common for various regions. People are past the idea of the language barrier because everyone wants good content and that is the name of the game. I have prided myself in the fact that Daniel and I are working parents, like a lot of other couples around us. It’s equally important to work and take care of our children. Who doesn’t like to work? I like to work. I want that job more than anyone else and for that, I am willing to go an extra mile and learn the language and prepare my scenes in advance. I just got back from Tirupati where we were shooting. I refused to shoot my portions in Hindi, though it was offered to me. It is important to learn the languages, and even though it takes time, when you go on set, you’re prepared and equipped. I’m an artiste who wants the work — I don’t believe that I need it and I don’t think I deserve it. I want it and I will work hard for it. I’ve learned every single thing I know by working with so many wonderful people. I came here with no formal training in what I am doing today. Not everything I did looked nice. Some of it looked horrible, too. You’re sitting in a room and wondering what you are doing, which is not looking great. It’s a matter of time and with the right guidance and meeting the right people, you grow out of that. We’re well past that point where you have to work with an A-list actor or director. COVID taught us to be humble. It is about finding the people who believe in you and have the patience to nurture you and guide when you falter.

Apart from acting, you have been pursuing different kinds of entrepreneurial interests along with your husband. What pushes you to take on so many ventures?
Daniel and I do 20 things at once. It is not just a movie or a show that I count on to make my life meaningful. I love it all, but that is not it. If something didn’t go well, it’s not in my hands to change that. Like I can’t say, ‘Okay, let’s pull it out, correct it and put it back there...’ for a show or a movie. It doesn’t work like that. You have to be a realist and understand what you are good at. My husband and I are good at multitasking and have our hands in as many avenues of entertainment and lifestyle as we can. Instead of focusing on only one thing. The next five years are going to be about work. We are looking forward to greenlighting more projects from what’s on the table and entrepreneurially, I want to grow. Something that I do today will always pay better tomorrow. I will continue to live with that thought.