The industry needs to trust its writers more: Prakash Kapadia

Soumya Vajpayee (HINDUSTAN TIMES; April 17, 2022)

He’s been the dialogue and screenplay writer for films such as Devdas (2002), Black (2005), Saawariya (2007), Bajirao Mastani (2015), Padmaavat (2018) and Tanhaji: The Unsung Warrior (2020), among others. But Prakash Kapadia feels that despite all the recognition he’s received for his work over the years, there’s a lot that needs to change in the Hindi film industry as far as the valuation of writers is concerned.

“I think the industry needs to trust its writers more by giving them the respect, credit and remuneration they deserve,” says Kapadia. He adds, “Nowadays, when a lyricist or music director composes a song, they get royalties each time the track is played, but what about the writer? There is a saying in the film industry, ‘Jo dikhta hai, woh bikta hai’, but I want to ask, ‘Jo likhta hai, woh kahan dikhta hai?’ A writer gives the entire story, screenplay and dialogues even before a movie starts. Big buildings look good, but they stand because of their strong foundations. Movies look beautiful, but they work because of their content.”

Having worked extensively with filmmaker Sanjay Leela Bhansali, with Gangubai Kathiawadi being his latest work as a dialogue writer, Kapadia enjoys associating with the filmmaker. “It is always an intellectual pleasure to work with a director who knows his work and understands the pain of a writer. Like me, he (Bhansali) also always wants to put his best foot forward, so we play devil’s advocate for each other. That’s how we deliver our best work,” he shares.

A satisfied man, Kapadia feels that when the audience laps up his work, it’s a win for him: “I count each film I’ve written as my credit. My films should reach the audience and that is my achievement. If my film, its director, actor or producer wins an award, I am a part of it (the win), too. Bollywood hasn’t paid much attention to its writers after Salim-Javed, but I hope I scenario changes for the better.”