As Judaai turns 25 today, Anil Kapoor recounts signing the film and why it’s special to him
Rishabh Suri (HINDUSTAN TIMES; February 28, 2022)

The 1997 hit film, Judaai, starring actors Anil Kapoor, Sridevi and Urmila Matondkar, turns 25 today. Despite having an unconventional storyline, where a money-minded wife (Sridevi) agrees to have her husband (Kapoor) marry another woman (Matondkar) in exchange for money, the film won the hearts of the audience. Kapoor tells us that he was initially reluctant to sign the movie. He says, “I kept saying no to the film, as I couldn’t connect with my character. I had a lot of pressure from my family and our family production company, as we were going through tough times, financially, after the debacle of Roop Ki Rani Choron Ka Raja (1993).”

But watching actors Andy García and Meg Ryan’s When A Man Loves A Woman (1994) made Kapoor believe in Judaai. “I am glad I said yes, as the intention was to do it for the family,” says the actor, who feels it’s “so surreal” that the film has completed 25 years: “It was a pleasure working with two exceptionally talented women — Sridevi and Urmila. The working style was very different back then and had its own charm.”

While he was convinced about the film, didn’t people dissuade him from taking up such an unconventional story? The actor responds, “Mr India (1987), Parinda (1989), Eeshwar (1989), 1942: A Love Story (1994), Virasat (1997), Pukar (2000), AK vs AK and now, Thar — I’ve always tried to not do run of the mill films. I feel that’s one of the reasons for my longevity.”

Recounting a funny anecdote from the shoot of the song Haan Mujhe Pyaar Hua from Judaai, the actor laughs, “All I had to do was remove my sunglasses, put them in my jacket and look at Urmila. Little did I know that the jacket I was wearing did not have any pockets, and during the shot, I was clueless, looking for a place to rest my shades. The whole crew burst into laughter and that shot made it to the final cut. Looking back at those days brings so much joy.”