The iconic film’s cast recalls working with late Sridevi and looks back at its legacy, on the silver jubilee of its release
Sugandha Rawal (HINDUSTAN TIMES; February 28, 2022)

Late filmmaker Raj Kanwar’s Judaai (1997) presented two contrasting personalities and views about life — one driven by materialism and the other choosing minimalism, through the lens of love and marriage. Over two decades later, the film continues to have a special place in everyone’s hearts.

Actors Anil Kapoor, Urmila Matondkar and late Sridevi drove the narrative of the twisted tale, where a wife agrees to get her husband married to another woman for money. But it had many other characters who remain etched in the minds of cine goers. As the film, which was Sridevi’s last before she took a hiatus from cinema until English Vinglish in 2012, completes 25 years, we take a walk down memory lane with some of the cast members.


‘I was a huge fan of Sridevi, and it was a big moment for me to work with her’

Actor Upasana Singh, who was seen in double roles of Seema Bhagat and Vaani Bhagat Jain in Judaai, reveals that she said yes to the film without even reading the script as she was a fan of Sridevi. “I grew up admiring Sridevi, and it was a big moment for me to work with her. I played the roles of a mother and a mute woman who just says ‘abba dabba jabba’. I was not convinced about it, but went with the director’s conviction. I put all my effort into expressing it with different moods. And it clicked! People remember me for it till now,” she tells us.

Since that dialogue got her such fame, she has even named her upcoming film Abba Dabba Jabba. “It’ll star Johnny Lever and my son, Nanak. Our characters were part of this story, and it is my effort to carry on the legacy,” she says, adding that the comedy film will take some time to shape up, but will be made for sure.


‘When a film touches hearts, it becomes iconic’

Who doesn’t remember Hasmukhlal Singh Bhagat, the man with an endless barrage of questions? One of the most quirky characters in Judaai, it was played by actor Paresh Rawal. “I played a character who had questions for everything, and said a lot through these questions. That unique trait made him an audience favourite,” says Rawal.

He recalls, “I’ve so many precious memories of the film, working with Sridevi, Anil Kapoor and Boney Kapoor (producer). Bahut mazaa aaya tha. When something touches hearts, it becomes iconic, and that’s what happened with the film... Even after so many years, people can recall the idiosyncrasies of the character. It says a lot about the role’s strength and uniqueness, which is special for an actor as well.”

‘I learnt from senior actors

Omkar Kapoor began his acting career as a child artiste, and cherishes his memories of being a part of Judaai, where he played the son of Sridevi and Anil Kapoor’s characters. “It was a fantastic experience... I learnt a lot from the senior actors. All great films are remembered for a very long time, and Judaai is one of them. That’s what the magic of cinema is. I would not like to see a remake of such an iconic film. I feel great films shouldn’t be remade,” he says.