Bhumi Pednekar ready to wage war

Responding to news of being a contender for film on freedom fighter Usha Mehta, Pednekar says she’s game
Mohar Basu (MID-DAY; January 6, 2022)

In a previous edition, mid-day had reported that filmmaker Ketan Mehta was considering roping in Bhumi Pednekar for a biopic on his aunt, freedom fighter Usha Mehta. Now, in an interview with this writer, the actor says essaying the part of a freedom fighter would be among her most cherished opportunities.

“Playing a freedom fighter would be my dream role. I am fascinated by such remarkable personalities. It would be an honour. I hope the universe listens to this,” says the actor. With a string of offerings, including Bheed, Rajkummar Rao-starrer Badhaai Do, Ajay Bahl’s Ladykiller, Govinda Naam Mera, and Raksha Bandhan with Akshay Kumar, within the span of one calendar year, Pednekar is set to explore a gamut of personalities for the big screen.

“All my films see me attempt to shatter stereotypes. That’s what I have done right from my debut film, Dum Laga Ke Haisha. I see myself playing ambitious, beautiful, and gutsy characters, because I relate to them. I am thrilled to be creatively expressing myself.”

Despite having tackled a variety of genres, Pednekar says there is one that she is still keen to give a go at. “A fantasy project. I would love to experience that, as an actor,” she signs off.