Actor R Madhavan wishes to work on happy projects, so that the sadness of the pandemic era doesn’t spill into his work
Sugandha Rawal (HINDUSTAN TIMES; January 15, 2022)

Actor R Madhavan doesn’t want the morbidness of the Coronavirus era to spill into his work, or reflect in the stories he narrates on screen. And that’s why he is on a lookout for ‘Covid-19-proof’ projects. “When it comes to selecting subjects, I am trying to select Covid-19-proof subjects right now. Something that doesn’t drag me back to being morose and sad, and feeling morbid about my life,” Madhavan tells us.

He continues, “I am open to taking on anything that is happy and cheerful. Like my recent show, Decoupled, was on those lines. It was right up my alley. It spreads cheer, like one of my friends tweeted, it’s a perfect antidepressant. So, that’s the kind of stuff I am heading for.”

Meanwhile, the Rang De Basanti (2006) actor is glad that he can traverse different languages as an artiste. “I have the liberty of selecting between Tamil and Hindi scripts. So, the choices are more. But, having said that, I don’t necessarily get the kind of stories I want to tell,” says Madhavan, who started his journey as an actor with the 90s TV show, Sea Hawks, which earned him tremendous acclaim.

Talking about the kind of work he wishes to do, the Tanu Weds Manu and 3 Idiots (2009) actor shares, “I want to do the kind of films (actor) Hrithik Roshan does. I’ve huge admiration for him. He looks like a Greek God even now and does phenomenal action. But merely desiring it won’t help me. I need to be fit like him to be able to star opposite (actor) Katrina Kaif. But I am fine with it.”

He goes on to highlight his talent and says, “I like to play to my strengths. And that, for me, is the script, story and character.”