The actor believes that the lessons learnt from failures are more valuable than the joy of successes
Monika Rawal Kukreja (HINDUSTAN TIMES; January 11, 2022)

Actor Sara Ali Khan is basking in the success of her latest release, Atrangi Re, and she admits she didn’t think an OTT release could get as much love as a theatrical outing. 

“It’s divine justice that the only good thing that happened [for me] in 2020 was Atrangi Re, and 2021 ended with Atrangi’s release, and I’m starting 2022 by talking to you about it,” she smiles, adding, “I’ve realised that agar janta ka pyaar milna hota hai, toh woh kahin bhi mil jaata hai.” 

Given the country’s current situation, would she be okay with her future films taking the OTT route? “If you had asked me this question 10 days ago, I would have said that I really missed the theatres. I still do. However, we make films for people to watch, enjoy and appreciate. If I can do that, the medium doesn’t matter as much,” says the 26-year-old. 

Despite all of the praise, some people didn’t like her film or thought her performance was over-the-top. Talking about how she takes criticism in her stride, Khan says, “Ever since I was a child, I’ve really enjoyed criticism. I enjoy appreciation also. But I realised early in my life that more than the happiness that successes give you, the learning that failures give you teaches you far more in life.” 

The actor, whose film Love Aaj Kal (2019) didn’t perform well at the box office, agrees that “times are changing,” and that nowadays it’s “less about being a heroine and more about performers”. Khan adds, “If someone says, ‘Oh, you were too loud here’, it’s my job to make sure that the next time I have to take a loud pitch, I’m convinced and can convince you about it. So, I don’t take criticism badly at all. I read reviews, I reflect on them, and I try to make sure that people can appreciate my work in the future if they haven’t already.” 

Even when it comes to social media, despite being “herself”, Khan has been subjected to trolling. But she asserts she knows how not to let it affect her: “If I’m being trolled for my work, it affects me, because I’m making films for the audiences. So if they’re not liking it, it’s a problem. But, if I’m being trolled for being who I am, then I don’t really care. My mental peace doesn’t depend on what people say. There’s a difference between appreciation and validation, and I think I know it.”

While the rise in Coronavirus cases has again put things on the back-burner, Khan is grateful that she’s on a film set. She is shooting in Indore for Laxman Utekar’s next with actor Vicky Kaushal. “Safety is paramount. I hope that things get controlled and go back to the way we want,” she ends.