Soha Ali Khan: Life as an actor has not ended at 40

Age is no barrier for Soha Ali Khan, who recently made her digital debut with Lara Dutta-starrer, Kaun Banegi Shikarwati
Uma Ramasubramanian (MID-DAY; January 11, 2022)

It is the best time to be an actor, especially owing to the digital boom. Actors are no longer bound by age when approached for a role, talent is all that matters. Saif Ali Khan was one of the earliest mainstream actors to explore the digital entertainment; following in his footsteps is sister Soha Ali Khan, who made her web debut with ZEE5’s Kaun Banegi Shikarwati. But, she insists that the inspiration didn’t come from observing her brother’s trajectory in the medium. “I don’t think or plan according to him. Both of us [don’t] believe in playing vanilla characters. I do what excites me creatively. I am grateful for the OTT space because it is rewarding.”

Growing up in a royal family gave Soha the edge to play a princess in the Naseeruddin Shah, Lara Dutta and Kritika Kamra-starrer that revolves around a former king, who devises outlandish plans to unite his estranged daughters. “I think the backdrop was relatable. [I remember] spending holidays in Rajasthan, Jodhpur and staying in those beautiful rooms. I was comfortable around horses, the music, the poise and body language, especially at family dinners, but I couldn’t relate to the crazy family,” explains Soha, adding that she considers her acting career only “a part of my life”. “I have a lot in my life that keeps me busy. My focus has always been the people in my life.”

Soha believes in “striving for balance” in life. “I want to be present as a mother and daughter. It is tough to be in so many places at once. The lockdown has taught us to find contentment within the absence of normalcy,” she says. 

“[Just] because I am in my early 40s, doesn’t mean my life as an actress has ended. I am not insecure as an actor. [The change in the offers] that come my way makes me hopeful.” Soha credits her mother Sharmila Tagore for motivating her to prioritise her life over others. “I often put others before me, and she always tells me to find something of my own. She has been inspiring me to write another book or play badminton. It is good when there is one person who is always looking out for you.”

Soha Ali Khan, Lara Dutta Bhupathi, Anya Singh and Kritika Kamra

Soha Ali Khan, Lara Dutta Bhupathi, Anya Singh and Kritika Kamra