Rachana Dubey (BOMBAY TIMES; December 19, 2021)

Recently, Sanya Malhotra and Fatima Sana Shaikh joined the cast of Meghna Gulzar’s biopic on Field Marshal Sam Manekshaw. To be headlined by Vicky Kaushal, the film will feature Sanya as Silloo Manekshaw and Fatima as former Prime Minister Indira Gandhi. This will be Vicky’s second biopic after Sardar Udham based on an individual of historical relevance.

Talking about his new project, Vicky says, “Sam Manekshaw’s biopic is in the pre-production stages right now. It will take a few months of prep and we should start rolling in the first quarter of 2022.”

Lately, there has been a spike in the interest in films, stories, and characters that are set in a time zone that Gen Z has probably only read or heard about.

The Raazi actor says, “Even though I am an actor, I am as much a part of that young audience that loves films set in a certain time zone. I am fascinated by them because I have only read stories about them, or heard about them from my parents or probably gone through some books on them. I am eager to become a part of those timelines and narrate a story set in a period that I will otherwise not get a chance to inhabit. I want to know more about those times that generations of young Indians have limited exposure to. I know people who study history through art and cinema. Sometimes, it’s the visuals that stay back with you more than the written word.”

Vicky further adds, “When I go through scripts and stories offered to me which are in sync with this thought, whether it is Sardar Udham or Sam Bahadur, I learn a lot. I didn’t know much about both the characters until I heard the director’s point of view on them and the understanding they have today of them as subjects. With these films, I am getting a chance to take people into a different time zone. It’s great to know those people who have made a remarkable difference to this country in their own ways.”