Titas Chowdhury (HINDUSTAN TIMES; November 1, 2021)

Actor Hansika Motwani starred opposite late actor Puneeth Rajkumar in Bindaas (2008), her first Kannada film. Shocked by the superstar’s untimely death, she says, “I still refuse to process that Puneeth is no more. It’s a big loss for the industry and for me, personally, as he was a friend. What makes it even more tragic and terrible is that he was only 46.”

Looking back at the time when she shot with him, Motwani shares, “I was just 19. I remember how polite and humble he was. I was so new and had no idea about the industry. Even though he was a superstar, he and made me feel comfortable. Since I was so young, he would always look out for me.”

The actor, who marked her debut as a child artiste in Hawa (2003), says that working in separate film industries didn’t let them catch up as often. But they stayed in touch over social media: “Every time we met, we always picked up from where we left. The last time I met him was at an awards function.”

Following Rajkumar’s demise, all film shows in the state have been cancelled. “The Kannada film industry has come to a halt. I couldn’t get through anyone in his family. It’s heart-breaking to even think of the way forward,” says the 30-year-old.

So, how has she been inspired by him? “He used to tell me to just follow my heart and that things would eventually fall in place. He would speak less and smile more,” Motwani ends.