Onkar Kulkarni (BOMBAY TIMES; November 1, 2021)

As she prepares to celebrate her son Veer’s first birthday today, Amrita Rao is glad to have her husband, RJ Anmol, by her side to share parenting duties with. In a quick chat, the actress talks to BT about their special gift for Veer and the many firsts he had in the last one year. Excerpts:

Your son, Veer, turns one today. How do you look back at the last one year? Has life changed drastically?
It surely has. Your schedule is never yours because the baby is now your boss! I haven’t slept for eight hours at a stretch in the last 18 months. I haven’t had coffee or eaten many yummy things that won’t suit his stomach. Along with my work schedule, I balance his schedule and prepare all his baby food. Now, seeing a new place or eating something nice doesn’t feel complete without him. It’s amazing that now I know exactly what Veer wants every time he cries. Motherhood is about surprising yourself with the strength you never knew you had.

How do you plan to celebrate Veer’s first birthday?
Veer turns one, and the mommy in me will be one as well, thanks to my child. We will celebrate at home with immediate family members owing to the pandemic. There will be a lovely animal-themed cake for him. We are decorating the house with balloons. Our gift to Veer will be a contribution on his behalf to a non-profit organisation for cataract surgeries for senior citizens and children.

The last year must have marked many firsts for you and Veer. What were the most memorable moments for you?
During the first month of his arrival, Anmol and I gave him so many nicknames. For a parent, the greatest joy is to see your baby enjoy having food! We were thrilled when Veer had solid food for the first time, which was khichdi. Veer calls me ‘Amma’, and in Konkani, that’s the word for mom. Anmol and Veer call each other ‘Bhai’, as obviously trained by Anmol. Veer is mostly quiet around elders, but very boisterous with his dad. He could be doing anything but the minute he sees me, he cries for my attention. There are times when he fake cries for attention and laughs when we catch him doing that. For the first eight-nine months, we were extremely hands-on parents. Now, we have a babysitter only to play with him all day. Anmol takes care of his vitamins and sunbathing, while I cook all his meals. Veer listens to Anmol on the radio and has a quizzical expression as he can hear his father, but not see him.

This is your first Diwali with Veer. Do you have anything special planned for the festival?
Firsts are always special. I wish I could take him to the temple, as I ideally love to start my Diwali day that way. Veer’s maasi has purchased a Diwali suit for him. There will be some amazing food, music, dancing and a lot of family bonding.