Kavita Awaasthi (HINDUSTAN TIMES; November 2, 2021)

On Sunday, actor Urmila Matondkar tweeted that she has tested positive for Coronavirus. She says that she shared the news because she wanted to warn people to not let their guards down.

“With the onset of Diwali festivities, people are stepping out for social gatherings. We have to remember that Covid-19 [is still here]. People are assuming that it has gone but it’s not.” The actor continues, “I am always careful and I wear a mask. Other than a few social obligations that I had attended, I hadn’t stepped out, yet I got infected.”

Matondkar says as she is double vaccinated, thankfully she is not “suffering” from major symptoms. “I can’t taste or smell and have body ache and cold but I don’t have a fever. I am in isolation,” she adds.

About how she knew that she had contracted the virus, the 47-year-old reveals, “I had a cold, which I didn’t ignore and got tested. We have to be careful and a bit paranoid as well for the sake of our families and society. People might have a viral, cough and cold and might not get tested. I want to tell them to be responsible citizens and not hesitate in getting tested. I am proud that I acted on my instinct and was a responsible citizen.”

The Satya (1998) actor also hopes that people understand that one can get infected even when they are doubly vaccinated against the virus.

Talking about her cancelled Diwali plans, the actor shares, “I was supposed to travel to my farmhouse for Diwali with a few friends but all those plans are gone for a toss now.”

Lastly, the actor, who forayed into politics in 2019, informs that has got her house help, watchman, vegetable vendor vaccinated too. “Some needed encouragement others didn’t,” Matondkar ends.