Actor Yuvika Chaudhary, Accused Of Casteist Remarks, Granted Interim Bail

Farzana Patowari (BOMBAY TIMES; October 21, 2021)

Yuvika Chaudhary was arrested on Monday by the Haryana Police in a case pertaining to offensive remarks against Scheduled Castes on a social media platform. The actress, who was booked under the SC/ST Act, was later granted interim bail by the Punjab and Haryana High Court.

The actress, who is now back in Mumbai, says, “Until a few days ago, I didn’t know that a case had been filed against me. When I got a notice, I was in Pune shooting. I left everything and went for the investigation. As a law-abiding citizen, law comes above everything else for me. I travelled immediately to Haryana. There, the police asked me several questions and they even have the phone through which the video was uploaded. I am back in Mumbai now, but I hope everything gets sorted soon.”

The actress says there are many other important issues in the country, which need to be addressed, but she has had to pay a price for being a public figure. “Six months ago, too, I had said that I didn’t use the word for anyone and I didn’t even know the meaning of it. I would never want to hurt anyone, but now that it has happened, I can only apologise,” she says.

The actress’ husband Prince Narula has stood by her like a rock. “He is my partner and has been there with me throughout this. I am glad that I have him as my husband,” Yuvika signs off.