Malaika Arora, who turns 48 today, says trolls don’t affect her anymore
Sugandha Rawal (HINDUSTAN TIMES; October 23, 2021)

Actor Malaika Arora knows that for a public figure, being judged or trolled is inevitable. “I’ve been in the public eye for a significant part of my life, which comes with its fair share of criticism. Be it on the work front or personal one, you’re scrutinised for some decisions. But with time, I’ve realised the importance of being unapologetic about your decisions,” says Arora, who turns 48 today.

Opening up about her birthday plans, she shares, “I am in no mood to celebrate this year, so I’ll have a quiet birthday at home with family and a few friends. There will be home-cooked food by my mom and that, for me, is the best kind of birthday.”

Meanwhile, Arora goes on to share that people always have something to say about her, but that doesn’t affect her anymore. “I don’t pay any attention to negative comments or trolls. It’s certainly challenging, but over the years, I’ve realised that not letting these unnecessary trolls get to you is the best way to be. Hence, I’ve chosen my happiness over anybody’s opinion about me. I have always been open-minded and non-judgmental,” she shares.

Arora admits that there was a time when others’ opinions bothered her, but not anymore. Revealing the mantra she follows, the actor shares, “With time, I have become more vocal about trolling, but fundamentally, I am unaffected. I have built this shield to protect me and my family that keeps me going. I am more certain about keeping my sanity than wasting it on something unsubstantial.”

Recently, there has been a huge shift in her personal life, with her son, Arhaan, 18, leaving India for studies. “The change has been difficult and it’s strange not to have him around. But, I’m proud of him for taking this step to embark on a new journey. I’m rooting for his success,” says Arora.