After a starry debut, Mamik Singh reveals why he stayed away from taking up too many projects
Sugandha Rawal (HINDUSTAN TIMES; October 23, 2021)

Actor Mamik Singh, who managed to make his mark with his debut film, Jo Jeeta Wohi Sikandar (1992), soon disappeared from the silver screen, leaving his fans disappointed. While the actor did appear in a couple of TV shows, films and web series, his aversion to camera has always kept him away from taking up bigger roles. Opening up about his career, Singh tells us, “What I am doing now, or have done in the past is not something I am up to in life these days.”

Though the actor was offered several roles, he chose to do projects only if he felt like it. The 58-year-old explains, “Beech beech mein log mujhe bulate rehte hain, and people do come to me with offers saying, ‘sir aap aa jao, yeh karlo ya woh karlo’. And based on my mood, I go and do the projects.”

After his debut, the actor starred in TV shows such as Saahil, Maal Hai To Taal Hai, Aa Gale Lag Jaa, and Ssshhhh...Koi Hai. He was also a part of web shows such as Rangmanch, Scam 1992 – The Harshad Mehta Story and Who’s Your Daddy Season 2. But Singh insists that it isn’t his story anymore. He says, “I have been there, done that. Now, it is not my story.”

When asked why he feels that way, the actor is quick to reply, “Mere ko na phele shauk tha, na aaj shauk hai. I am not even interested in telling people about my upcoming projects. I never intended to do that when I started my career, and that is true even today. I was a very reluctant actor. I hate the goddamn camera.”

He asserts that if it wasn’t for his aversion, he would have done “150 films by now”. So how did he decide to be a part of actor Akshay Kumar’s BellBottom. He reveals, “The director (Ranjit M Tewari) came to me to play the role of Kumar’s brother. After some time, I agreed to be part of the film and left for Scotland with the team.”

However, the actor was miffed when many of his parts got chopped off during editing. “All the scenes about the relationship between the brothers didn’t make it to the final cut. I spoke with the director, asking him why he brought me to Scotland for such a small role,” he quips.

Now, Singh wants to shift his focus entirely and work for the greater good. “I am working on two things — an enterprise which will help animal and towards education, so everyone gets a fair chance to get ahead in life,” he signs off.