Breaking the jinx

Her collaborative work with Sneha Khanwalkar finally seeing the light of day, Rekha Bhardwaj on how their next track ticked several boxes for her
Uma Ramasubramanian (MID-DAY; October 18, 2021)

Rekha Bhardwaj finds herself in Sneha Khanwalkar’s fold again with Turiya Turiya, from the upcoming web series, Tabbar. While the number aimed at enhancing the fast-paced narrative, Bhardwaj says the opportunity enabled her to tick several boxes off her wish-list. “Singing the Baba Farid [poetry] was a blessing because, while I wanted to sing it, I couldn’t do it myself. For this song, I [verified] the pronunciation. I spoke to a language coach hired from Chandigarh and requested for her audio of the pronunciation and meaning. It helped me enhance my craft. I believe in polishing and honing my skills. I am not  talented enough to go into the studio, learn, and sing a song; I have to [rehearse] and absorb it to make it my own,” says the singer.

Bhardwaj shares a special bond with Khanwalkar. However, a spate of recent collaborations haven’t seen the light of day. With this track, the veteran is glad to have finally “broken the jinx”. “It is like a reward that we have got for our hard work. I feel happy when young composers notice and appreciate us for our hard work. It tells me that I am on the right path, even now.”

The Sony LIV show, featuring Pawan Malhotra, Supriya Pathak, Ranvir Shorey, Gagan Arora, and Paramvir Singh Cheema, revolves around a middle-aged couple with two grown-up sons. A series of incidents turn their lives upside-down.

Behind the scenes, Bhardwaj’s life too took a different turn. Accustomed to rendering tracks within the comforting space of a studio, she soon found herself in need to learn the tropes of technology amid the pandemic. She shared the experience with her filmmaker-husband Vishal Bhardwaj, who “learnt, and taught me to operate [software], while I learnt to record on it. The film, 14 Phere, was worked upon in this way. I still prefer to record in studios with music directors. But, I am happy I learnt [technology] when it was needed.”