Sudhanshu Pandey

Roshni Olivera (BOMBAY TIMES; September 1, 2021)

The world of television is something else, says Sudhanshu Pandey, who’s currently seen playing Vanraj Shah in Anupamaa. Sudhanshu has been a part of Bollywood for many years, but the adulation owing to the TV show is unmatchable. However, he doesn’t want the real Sudhanshu Pandey to be lost in this and is constantly looking to reinvent himself. In a candid chat, he spoke to us about this and more. Excerpts:

You’ve recently got a brand-new photoshoot done and have been talking about a change of image, too. What has prompted this?
I got some new photographs shot. In fact, I planned a proper photoshoot after many years. I did this because I am looking at a certain image change. My character, Vanraj Shah in Anupamaa, is a very strong character and I have been playing that for a year, and yes, I have been getting a great response for it. But I want people to also remember me for what I am. I had started my career as a fashion model and have worked with top designers. So, I felt like doing a different kind of photoshoot where I could pose like a model. I thought let me remind people and tell them that Vanraj Shah is a character you see on TV, but Sudhanshu Pandey is what you can see through these pictures.

You have acted in many films, but somewhere did you ever feel you never really got your due, and it’s only now that things have changed with the TV show?
I have been a part of over 40 films and even played the hero opposite actresses like Priyanka Chopra, Raveena Tandon and Gracy Singh. I also played the villain in one of the most expensive films, 2.0, and did an international film with Jackie Chan. So, I have done a lot of work. When it came to television, I had to think hard before taking up this show. It took a lot of strength to take the leap from the world that I was in into the daily soap world. But I believe God always shows you the way and guides you in the right direction. With Anupamaa, the kind of popularity I have witnessed today is almost unreal, I have never seen this before. It’s a big milestone in my career and one of the best things that has happened to me.

When you were first offered the TV show were you apprehensive, given the perception that the television medium doesn’t have too many powerful roles for male actors?
When I was offered the show by producer Rajan Shahi, there was no title. It was a love triangle and essentially, it was the story of a family woven around these three characters. I never had any apprehensions because, at the end of the day, every character in the show is equally strong and important in taking the story forward. The story may be told from Anupama’s perspective, but it’s everybody’s story.

TV shows can go on for many years. How do you plan to balance it with your other interests?
Yes, TV shows can go on forever, but I haven’t thought about that. It’s just one year that I have dedicated 100 per cent of my time to this show and haven’t touched anything else. Slowly, as time passes by, we’ll see, God will show me the way. Right now, the show is running beautifully, and I have no reason to think of anything else.

You came to Mumbai from Delhi two decades ago. Did you know anyone in the industry then?
No. I had just got married and I came to Mumbai with my wife, who has always been very supportive. I was just brave enough to come here and say, ‘Boss, I am going to pursue my dream and make a life in this city.’ Since I was a model in Delhi, I continued modelling here and then moved to acting. Now, I just want to grow as an actor. I have a dream and it’s not to win an Oscar, but the National Award and make my family proud.

You were part of the music group Band Of Boys, which was formed in 2001, but some time later, you moved on to acting. Is music still on your mind?
I had the privilege of being a part of India’s first boy band and it was great. We performed in India and across the globe and were much appreciated. But gradually, I switched to acting because I had a family to take care of, and music at that time wasn’t financially viable. But I love singing and a couple of years ago, I had launched a single and I am recording another now. I will continue singing because that’s something I am very passionate about.