Jealousy helped Anupam Kher, Satish Kaushik's friendship survive

Neha Maheshwri (BOMBAY TIMES; September 1, 2021)

Actor-director Satish Kaushik has bought the rights to the National Award-winning Malayalam film, Nirnnayakam (2015), which starred Asif Ali and Malavika Mohanan. Satish will direct and act in the Hindi remake. What’s interesting is that he has roped in his friend, actor Anupam Kher, to play a pivotal character.

Satish shares, “I plan to title the remake Kaagaz 2. Like my last film Kaagaz, which revolved around a pertinent social issue, the story of the National Award-winning movie, Nirnnayakam, highlights an important social issue — human rights violation and the power of a common man to fight the system. I was moved by the thought and the concept of the film and decided to buy the rights to remake it.”

Satish Kaushik says, “There are two strong characters in the film along with a young couple. My friend Anupam Kher will be playing one of the roles. Anupam and I go back a long way. We met while we were studying at the National School of Drama (NSD) in 1975 and we have been friends since. It is always great to share a stage or screen space with Anupam. We have worked together in several films, including Uttar Dakshin and Ram Lakhan. Since our understanding as actors and friends is always in sync, I approached him for the remake of Nirnnayakam and I am glad he agreed.” Anupam has also acted in Satish’s earlier directorial ventures like Roop Ki Rani Choron Ka Raja, Hum Aapke Dil Mein Rehte Hain, Shaadi Se Pehle and Gangs of Ghost.

As an artiste, Satish has made a conscious effort to stay relevant even after so many years. He says, “Though I was quite active as a filmmaker, I never left acting. In the last few years, I’ve been part of films like Udta Punjab, Soorma, Chhalaang and my own directorial, Kaagaz. I strongly feel that I have adapted to the changing times and have reinvented myself. With the Hindi remake of Nirnnayakam and a couple of projects, I’m set to play some pivotal roles.”