Onkar Kulkarni (BOMBAY TIMES; September 10, 2021)

As he grew up in Punjab, for Sonu Sood the idea of Ganesh Chaturthi and the celebrations that followed was limited to what he saw in Hindi films. Once in Mumbai, to chase his Bollywood dreams, the actor got a closer look at the festive celebrations, which drew him to immerse himself in the city’s culture and tradition. He was left mighty impressed as he visited pandals, especially Mumbai’s iconic Lalbaugcha Raja when he was new to Mumbai. Inspired by what he witnessed during the festivities in the city, Sonu then decided to get the whole experience closer to home. It’s been over two decades since he’s been doing Ganpati puja in his Mumbai house.

Recollecting how it all started, Sonu shares, “I remember Sonali (his wife) had just arrived from Punjab. We were staying at a rented apartment in Mumbai back then. We wished to get Bappa home as we wanted to immerse ourselves in the city’s festive spirit.”

Sonu continues, “So, I went on a motorbike to Vile Parle railway station and got home a small murti. It was around eight-inches tall, and Sonali then told me that we should get a bigger idol. Since then, we have been getting a four-foot-tall idol. I remember at midnight we were looking for some accessories to decorate and set up our home for the puja. During our early years, we were not aware of the kind of rituals we needed to perform as we had only seen Ganpati celebrations in films and Bollywood songs. Slowly, over the years, we learnt it all. It’s been 22 years since we have been bringing Bappa home.”

The Soods have the celebrations in their home for five days. “We have guests coming over for darshan. My friends from my struggling days and my former roommates visit us every year. We don’t have to send them an official invite as they were a part of the process right from the day we started getting Lord Ganesha home. We do aarti every day, deck up the house, put fresh flowers every morning and cook traditional food. In fact, I have tried making modaks, but failed miserably. Last year, they turned out slightly better, so I will try making them this year, too. We also make prasad at home. During these five days, it feels so good every time you wake up in the morning and see Bappa at home. My sons are also excited, and their friends visit our home, too,” says the actor.

Since the Coronavirus pandemic, Sonu has turned into a Covid Warrior, helping migrants reach home safely during the lockdown, providing kits to those in need of essentials like rice, dal, milk, etc., and lend a helping hand to those who needed medicines or hospital beds during the pandemic. “I will pray to Bappa that he gives me strength to come to their aid. I will be distributing prasad to the people who gather outside my building every day to seek help. I will also get a few of them to my house for Bappa’s darshan. From the day I got Bappa home, I have felt his guiding force that helped me sail through my life, career, pandemic and every other challenge that I have faced. This year I am going to thank him for whatever he taught me in the last one-and-a-half years. It was through his blessings that I could connect with so many people from the country and was able to help them.”