Rakul Preet Singh, COVID-Negative Now, Is 'Feeling Absolutely Fine'

Rachana Dubey (BOMBAY TIMES; August 25, 2021)

Rakul Preet Singh recently joined Ayushmann Khurrana and Shefali Shah, her co-stars in Junglee Pictures’ Doctor G in Prayagraj, Uttar Pradesh. Due to the Coronavirus pandemic, the film’s unit has been shooting in a bio-bubble for the period of the shoot. Rakul plays a medical student in the movie directed by Anubhuti Kashyap.

Talking about the experience of filming the movie in Prayagraj, the actress says, “It’s the first time that I am shooting for a film in Prayagraj. When the unit decided to shoot here, I wondered what this place would offer that others won’t. But when I got here and went around the campuses, college and university buildings, I realised why we had chosen this place. The campuses are so beautiful; they have such an old-world charm. They look stunning and speak so much about the varied cultures that the city has been witness to. The shooting has been hectic but smooth. We’re in a bio-bubble, so as much as I want to look around and explore the city, I can’t do it right now. We’ve been taking all the possible precautions. We get tested every few days, wear masks and sanitise the sets regularly.”

Rakul is eagerly looking forward to getting a day or two off to be able to visit Sangam, a couple of historical sites located at short distances and relish the kachoris and chaats sold by local vendors. “I am excited to look around and experience this city. The only other place I have been exposed to is Lucknow. I have barely seen the state of UP. I want to explore Prayagraj and the neighbouring places of historical relevance. Varanasi is also a few hours away from here, and I will need a day to visit the place. But we’re largely functioning in a bio-bubble right now. So, even if I get a day off, I am not sure if I want to visit a crowded place,” says Rakul, who has several films lined up, including Mayday, Thank You, and Mission Cinderella.

When asked about teaming up with Ayushmann and Shefali for the first time, Rakul says, “I’m having a blast working with Ayushmann. I am a Sardarni and he’s Punjabi. Both of us are foodies and we both enjoy a certain brand of humour, which stems from our home state. We’re perpetually cracking some Punjabi lame jokes. Of course, he’s a fantastic professional who loves to improvise his scenes. He’s also equally sharp when it comes to picking up the improvisations his fellow actors make. That’s a very important trait and he’s fantastic with it. And Shefali ma’am is a delight to work with and learn from. She picks on the nuances and the arc of her character really well. She’s spontaneous, too, but there are several other traits that separate her from the rest of us. She is a brilliant actress and a treat to work with.”