The actress had shot for an international project in Kabul in 2008
Neha Maheshwri (BOMBAY TIMES; August 25, 2021)

People across the globe are still in a state of shock over the manner in which the Taliban swiftly took over Afghanistan. Many are fervently praying for the safety of their friends in the country. Saumya Tandon, who had visited Kabul in 2008, says that she is worried for her friends in Afghanistan. Saumya says, “It’s heartbreaking to see what’s happening in Afghanistan and how people are scrambling for their lives… the visuals are extremely disturbing. I shudder to think what the future has in store for them. I hope and pray that they are safe.”

The former Bhabi Ji Ghar Par Hai! actress feels a strong connection with the Afghans and remembers their warmth, hospitality and generosity. She recalls, “I had been to Afghanistan and stayed in Kabul for a month to shoot an international project, in which I played an Afghan girl, Khushi. The story was about a girl, who aspired to be a doctor and fulfils her dream despite facing resistance from people and society. It was a story of women empowerment and what’s happening right now is ironic.”

Saumya says, “I got an opportunity to explore Afghanistan and it was such a beautiful experience. The cast, comprising Afghan actors, helped me with the language. The locals are so warm and giving. When I visited shops and the minute the owners realised that I was from India, they would give me things for free, as gifts. The people there have a very strong sense of self-respect. They like to do things for others. What I experienced during my stay was so different from the perception I had of the country, which has been facing war for so many years. The locals always had nice things to say about India, because they felt that we have always supported them. I shot at the Indira Gandhi Hospital and they showed me a lot of places, which India helped them build.”

While she enjoyed her time shooting in Afghanistan, Saumya was also worried about her safety. She recounts, “There were two women in the unit, including my co-actor and a crew member. They told me how difficult it was for women and how much they had to fight for their freedom. My co-actors spoke about the constant terror they lived in. They were living in fear and uncertainty for many years and look what has happened to them again.”

The actress made several friends during her stay in Kabul and is now worried for their safety, as she hasn’t been able to connect with them. She says, “After the recent unrest, I tried contacting my Indian friends through whom I had gone there, but I didn’t get any reply. I hope they are safe. I just want to reach out and ask them if they are okay because the visuals that we are seeing are very disturbing. I feel helpless, but my prayers are with them and my heart goes out to them.”