Itishree Misra (BOMBAY TIMES; July 2, 2021)

Sukhwinder Singh is happy that he got an opportunity to perform live at a private event in Lucknow, after a very long time. Sukhwinder, who has been performing virtually during the lockdowns, says that they hold less charm than a live interaction with audience. “Virtual performances are good, but what an artiste craves is a live interaction with the audience,” he says.

Ask him if he is nervous performing live in this Coronavirus pandemic and Sukhwinder says he is, but the excitement of a live performance is more. “There is definitely some nervousness regarding performing live in this pandemic, but I have to ensure a livelihood for my musicians. With nothing happening the musicians are facing a very hard time. So in fact, for this show, I have charged 40 per cent more than their usual fees so that they can sustain themselves and their families,” he says.

Sukhwinder adds, “Main bhi koi millionaire toh hoon nahi, mujhe bhi kamayi karni hai. And we have to help others, too, in whatever we can. These are difficult times for everyone and we have to make do with what is being offered.”

The singer says that the band takes all precautions during their show. He says,“We are taking all precautions regarding maintaining social distancing, masks, etc. In case of a private function, there is no problem of a crowd. Besides, I take good care of myself. I remain at home, I have got myself vaccinated, maintain all protocols so I am okay, that way.”

Sukhwinder recently appeared as a celebrity guest on Indian Idol. He has previously been a judge on a few talent hunt shows. Ask him if he is in favour of the judges praising all performances and he says, “My first condition to appear as a judge on a reality show is that I will not lie. I will not falsely praise any contestant.”

He further adds, “Tell me one thing, isn’t it corruption and lying to praise a contestant even for his bad performance? I cannot say to a bad singer that you have sung like Miyan Tansen. It is wrong. I am harming the youngster by giving him false praise. If a contestant is not performing well, I will not say ‘waah’ for him or her. Instead I will give a positive criticism, which is what we as judges should do. We should point out their mistakes so that they can improve upon them. Praising them for their bad performance is in fact harming them, and we, as seniors shouldn’t indulge in that. One needn’t be rude and brutal in their criticism, it can be given in a softer way too. That’s why you don’t see me in reality or talent hunt shows so often.”