Kavita Awaasthi (HINDUSTAN TIMES; March 18, 2021)

With two web projects, Asur and Halahal, last year, Barun Sobti was noticed by “the mainstream industry”, but his transition to films wasn’t smooth. After gaining popularity with TV show Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon? in 2011, his Main Aur Mr. Riight (2014), Tu Hai Mera Sunday (2017) and 22 Yards (2019) were stuck for the longest time.

Talking about his experience, Sobti says, “I won’t say I am a victim of the industry… Here, you have to dig your well every day. In fact, today I have a lot of work but it is still not easy... just that today my set of problems are different.”

His chocolate boy image got a total makeover with his web roles last year. “Image matters a lot, and majority of actors are busy building their image rather than working on their craft… these are sensible people, who know how the industry functions. And, at the same time, there [are those who] see potential in an actor beyond their looks or their image. That’s how I was cast in Asur and Halahal,” he explains.

Sobti, 36, admits there was a lot of resistance while casting him in Asur and Halahal, but producers Tanveer Bookwala and Zeishan Quadri were sure about him. “Their confidence gave me confidence… I am thankful to them that they pushed for me. They are visionaries,” he says.