Tejashree Bhopatkar (BOMBAY TIMES; November 20, 2020)

During the long months of lockdown, Nandita Das used the time creatively and effectively. The actress, who has featured in 40 films across 10 different languages, wrote, directed, produced, and acted in a seven-minute short film titled, Listen to Her, that sheds light on the increase in domestic violence and overburden of work that women have been facing during the pandemic.

Talking to ETimes about tran sitioning from acting to directing, she says, “I have always enjoyed doing different things and I hope to continue that. I don’t see any reason why one has to make choices between this or that when one can potentially do this and that. If there are stories that compel me to direct, I will. It was always exciting to watch the rest of the crew work towards shaping up a scene. Often I would get involved with suggestions or just ask questions. Actors are perceived to be larger than what they are, but what people don’t realise is that we (actors) are at the mercy of a hundred factors that shape a film. And so I thought maybe making a film from scratch and having freedom to make what I want to, would be more fulfilling.”

Nandita goes on to say that she doesn’t believe in classifying films in various categories. “I have never classified films as art or commercial, Hindi or regional. I do films that resonate with my sensibilities, in whichever genre it may be. The criteria to choose a film has always been the script, the director, and the role I am offered,” the actress-filmmaker explains, adding, “But I know when I look back at the 30 odd films I have done, many of which are regional films, that they needed to make fewer compromises with the form and content they chose. Of course, they are always struggling with budgets and marketing issues and so the vision doesn’t translate into reality. I would love to do different genres, but who would take the risk of giving me a comedy role?”