Onkar Kulkarni (BOMBAY TIMES; November 16, 2020)

After spending eight months away from Mumbai, Mouni Roy returned to the city recently. However, the actress couldn’t participate in Diwali festivities as work kept her busy, and she will also have to settle for a virtual Bhai Dooj ceremony with her younger brother Mukhar Roy, who is currently in their hometown Cooch Behar, West Bengal.

Mouni says, “I have so many fond memories of celebrating Bhai Dooj with Mukhar. As kids, our parents dressed both of us as Lord Krishna during one of the Bhai Dooj ceremonies. Actually, they dressed him as Krishna and maine bhi zidd kardi that even I want to be dressed like that (laughs!).”

Recalling fond memories of the festival, Mouni further adds, “During our puja, we would never use water, instead, we used to add dew drops to the kumkum or chandan (sandalwood). Being the kid of the house, my brother would be asleep, while we sisters would wake up early and go to collect dew drops around the greens near our home in Bengal. Festivities at our home called for good food and lots of mithai like nariyal laddoos, rosogolla, payesh (kheer), nolen gurer sondesh (a traditional Bengali sweet), etc. My family is into music, so we used to have beautiful musical sessions, too.”

About the equation the brother-sister share, Mouni elaborates, “My brother is over 10 years younger than me, so earlier on, we had that typical relation where we used to fight a lot. But as we grew up, we started loving and respecting each other a lot more. Through my journey from my hometown to Mumbai, and in my endeavour to become an actress, he has been a silent supporter. He has always encouraged me with my art. At one point of time, I wanted to learn to play the guitar. I saw my brother learning it by watching online videos. He learnt it fast and very well. On realising that I have a good ear for music, he surprised me with a guitar during one Bhai Dooj celebration. I am going to miss celebrating the festival with my brother this year.”