Shreya Mukherjee (HINDUSTAN TIMES; November 12, 2020)

That insiders have the upper hand in showbiz is a notion that seems to be gathering steam. Aditya Narayan, son of singer Udit Narayan, says those who feel it’s easier for insiders must understand the grass is always greener on the other side.

Talking about the debate, the singer-actor says, “There have been times I’ve wished I wasn’t Udit Narayan’s son, people would’ve taken me more seriously. I’ve also thought if my father was not one of the most accomplished musicians, there would have been things left for me to achieve. And above everything else comes the pressure of expectations and comparisons.”

He adds that those who are doing well in their profession are mostly outsiders. “I agree, it’s easier for us to get the first opportunity, but this industry is commerce-driven. Only people who can churn out profit will be employed. Talent is essential, but unless your films or songs make profit, you are nothing,” he asserts.

Citing his own example, Aditya explains, “TV shows I’ve been hosting have been doing well. I might be a good host, but what’s working is my shows getting good TRP and sponsorship.”