Shreya Mukherjee (HINDUSTAN TIMES; October 24, 2020)

Aknown face in Gujarati theatre and film scene, Pratik Gandhi has also done a few Hindi and English language films. But it’s his portrayal of stockbroker Harshad Mehta in Hansal Mehta’s recent web series, Scam 1992, that helped him get nationwide recognition.

“The actual reaction came from the share market. People called in to say that the portrayal couldn’t been more convincing. I’m indebted to Hansal Mehta for showing this kind of faith in me,” says the actor.

Given the response, Gandhi also believes that the timing worked in their favour as people are mostly consuming content online nowadays. “I don’t think I’d have got this kind of a role in a big film or a film could have given me this kind of fame. I never understood how do we decide a film to be good or bad going by the revenue generated. Thankfully, OTT doesn’t have that pressure. You don’t need a known face to sell content, rather content decides everything,” he adds.

Gandhi shares that he has been around in the world of showbiz for almost two decades, and it’s only now that things have changed for him. “When I’m told that my fame came to me overnight, my reply is ‘this night was 15 years long for me’. Now, many doors have opened. Yes, I’d like to do pivotal parts but I’m open to all kinds of experiments. I am now getting proper script narrations now, and people are writing characters keeping me in mind,” he concludes.