Soumitra Das (BOMBAY TIMES; October 18, 2019)

Irfan Pathan, who has earlier impressed his fans with his singing videos on social media and his stint on dance reality shows like Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Reloaded, is set to make his debut on the big screen soon. Irfan will be seen playing an important role in an upcoming Tamil film, tentatively titled Chiyaan Vikram 58 and starring Vikram in the lead role.

Confirming the development, Irfan tells us, “It took me a while to say ‘yes’ to the offer because although I have participated in reality shows before and done commentary, this is completely new territory for me. R Ajay Gnanamuthu, the director of the film, had even come to my house in Vadodara to talk about it. My first question to him was, ‘Why me?’ But he was very clear that the role really suits me and after that, I was convinced. It will be a real honour to work with Vikram, who is an amazing actor and has done some fabulous movies. My family is also happy with this decision.”

Is he nervous about his big-screen debut? Irfan shares, “I have played for India at the highest level in front of thousands of spectators at different venues. No nervousness can be compared to that feeling. At least I will have retakes here! So, I am not nervous.”

R Ajay Gnanamuthu, the director of this upcoming action thriller, tells us, “Irfan sir will be seen portraying a Turkish character in the film, and it is a very important role. While the film is being made in Tamil, it will also release in Telugu and Hindi. We plan to start shooting towards the end of this month.”

Asked about how they zeroed in on Irfan, Ajay shares, “For this role, we needed someone really good looking. After watching Irfan sir’s photos on Instagram and some of his videos on a video messaging app, we approached him with the offer. Initially, he thought that we were joking because he has never acted in any project before. But I am glad that after I narrated the story to him, he eventually agreed to do the film. I am sure that it is going to be real treat for his fans.”