Ayushmann Khurrana
Chaya Unnikrishnan (DNA; August 15, 2019)

Ayushmann Khurrana is basking in the glory of the National Award win for his brilliant performance as the visually-impaired pianist in AndhaDhun. If that’s not enough, his June release, Article 15, not only got critical acclaim but was also a box-office winner. “Yes, Article 15 had a kind of social responsibility for me as an artiste. I am glad the film delivered at the ticket counters. The good BO collection is solid validation that our country has evolved a lot and the society is prepared for a change. We have become introspective and feel that a belief system, which has been there for years, has to change for the better. Independence Day is always special, but this makes it more special for me,” smiles the actor. About his Best Actor Award, the 34-year-old says, “I was shooting last Friday when between takes, I saw my phone buzzing. I had 20-25 missed calls! I got to know that Andhadhun had won an award, and I was happy. But then, somebody told me I had won the Best Actor! That made it special and the feeling is yet to sink in!”

PATRIOTIC FILMS ON THE RISE
There is a marked increase in films that rouse patriotic fervour, talk about issues that the country faces or those that are based on ordinary people who have turned out to be the real heroes with their extraordinary deeds. Ayushamann, however, feels that every era has had such films like Border (1997) or Lagaan (2001). “I remember, there was a time when two films on Bhagat Singh released on the same day. But, yes, a lot of movies are being made in this day and age, so, there is a rise in the patriotic genre, too. There’s Akshay (Kumar) sir who makes films on patriotism or something on those lines, as does Vicky (Kaushal). My movie Article 15 is one of a kind for me — this is my first film based on a social cause,” he shares.

Elaborating, the actor says, “There are different kinds of patriotic films like Uri: The Surgical Strike which was about the armed forces and their sacrifices. We need to celebrate our defence personnel and love our country. On the other hand, we have Article 15, which talks about uplifting the society and making it free from flaws. We need to do something for society. The idea is not to blindly love our country. We have many flaws; we need to change that and build our nation.”

CELEBRATING AUGUST 15
The actor, who hails from Chandigarh, Punjab, recalls that they used to go for the flag hoisting ceremony in schools and colleges. “In Mumbai, it is also done in societies, which is endearing as kids dress up in traditional outfits. I am glad that it is celebrated because it is a reminder that we belong to this country and have a certain responsibility, which we forget in our busy lives,” he signs off.