The actress and her guests tucked into kebabs and biryani and sang Hindi film songs during a house party, while Anil Kapoor showed up briefly
Avinash Lohana (MUMBAI MIRROR; August 17, 2019)

On Thursday, Independence Day, Konkona Sen Sharma, Divya Dutta, Dia Mirza, Sandhya Mridul, Tannishtha Chatterjee, Shahana Goswami and Richa Chadha gathered for a party at Shabana Azmi’s suburban residence.

The hostess admits the celebration was Sandhya’s idea and her only regret is that Vidya Balan who is caught up in promotions and Urmila Matondkar who took off on a flood relief campaign couldn’t make it. “The two of them we missed, but the rest of them were there and were horrid to me. The get-together was supposed to be in my honour but these wicked girls get a kick out of making fun of me but I love each one of them. Most of them have played my daughter, including Konkona, Shahana and Divya, while Tannishtha, Urmila and I have done a play together. So, there is a real connection and its beautiful when girls get together and have a blast. I don’t think I have laughed so much in my life, we were all in a silly mood and I feel rejuvenated,” admits Shabana.

Divya endorses this saying it’s been ages since they have laughed so much. “It’s amazing to be with like-minded women and not discuss work but turn into laughing little girls,” informs the actress who is presently working with Shabana in writer-director Faraz Arif Ansari’s Sheer Qorma on the LGBTQ community’s struggles for love and acceptance, which begins at home. “I am extremely fond of her. When I was growing up, if someone asked me my favourite film it was always Arth and Mandi so sharing screen space with her is an amazing feeling,” says Divya, who was last seen with Shabana in the 2016 drama Chalk n Duster. At the party, Divya informs that they tucked into kebabs, biryani and a dessert made of dates “which was delicious”. And they sang songs. “For some strange reason almost, all actors have good voices and they can sing. I can’t remember which songs we sang on Thursday but they were Hindi songs. It was so relaxing,” smiles Shabana.

Pictures from the bash have the internet buzzing and Divya admits that the adaab pose is a favourite though Shabana often complains that the girls still can’t get it right. “For another picture, we all used Shahana’s red lipstick to pout. How many times do you do that with co-actors who happen to be friends?” Divya laughs.

Shabana’s writer-lyricist husband Javed Akhtar and old friend Anil Kapoor made 10-minute appearances each at the all-girls party. “Anil and we get together once in a while. He is the gorgeous young man among all the women and when he learnt the girls were there, he turned up for a little while. All of them adore him and he adores them, so it was too much fun,” beams Shabana.

So, when is the next get-together happening? “These fun dos are always impromptu. As soon as one of us has a reason to celebrate, we will go crazy again,” Divya promises.