Soumya Vajpayee (BOMBAY TIMES; May 23, 2019)

Kirron Kher joined the Bharatiya Janata Party in 2009. In the 2014 General Elections, she won from Chandigarh. Subsequently, she shifted base to her hometown to do justice to her job as a MP. Kirron spoke to us about the challenges celebrities face when they join politics, how her personal life has suffered, why films have taken a backseat and more. Excerpts:

While the common perception is that Bollywood celebrities have it easy when it comes to politics, do you think it’s harder for you, given the constant scrutiny and social media attention?
I feel it works both ways. As celebrities from the world of films or sports, we are recognisable for the electorate. But celebs are often judged. While there are some who might not be good at their job or may not be interested in getting into politics, most of us are committed people, who are well educated and capable of doing good work. Being a politician is difficult for film personalities, because we constantly need to prove ourselves. Our work is always scrutinised.

How has your journey been as a politician so far?
Since I was the spokesperson for my party, I was always aware about the issues in Chandigarh. Plus, it’s my hometown. So I know the city well. Since it’s a small place, working there isn’t that hard. As far as being a politician goes, I love being in the Parliament, because I get to talk and debate there. To be able to bring about a change in India is a feeling of immense pride. So, when something I initiate becomes a law, it feels gratifying. The only time I feel sad is when the opposition violates the decorum of the Parliament.

Has your political career affected your personal life in any way?
Yes, my personal life has suffered because of my political career. I don’t get to meet my husband (Anupam Kher) and son (Sikandar Kher). Even if I’m in Mumbai to shoot for India’s Got Talent, it’s only over the weekend. I’m always away from my family. My son really misses me and the time we used to spend together earlier. He only meets me whenever he travels for work to Chandigarh, which happens rarely.

You’ve not been doing films either.
My film career has taken a backseat because of my political journey. The last movie I did was Punjab 1984, which was five years ago. But it’s not that I’m not open to film offers. If a promising project comes my way, I’ll definitely take it. Meanwhile, I’ve done two advertisements recently.

How does your husband feel about your political career?
My husband is more driven about my political career than I am. He has always been supportive and feels proud when I’m able to make a difference.

You don’t live in Mumbai anymore.
I live in Chandigarh now and travel to Mumbai mostly for six days in Diwali, unless some urgent work comes up. I love Chandigarh. The city has a much better quality of life. Though I miss meeting my close friends back in Mumbai, I’m glad that politics keeps me so busy that I don’t get the time to think about anything else.

The election results will be out today. Are you nervous?
I’m sure we will win in a big way. I’ve been so tied up with the election campaigning that there’s been no time to feel the jitters. The elections were on May 19. So there was no time to feel nervous. I’m feeling very confident.