Ismat Tahseen (BOMBAY TIMES; May 23, 2019)

Jaya Prada is speaking to us right after a temple visit, which is exactly how she wanted her day to begin, she tells us. “Before I leave for any conferences, I like to go to the temple to pray,” says the actress-turned-politician. The way the exit polls are shaping up, it shows a clear win for her party, the BJP. “Exit polls suggest that people have immensely supported Modi ji. In UP, particularly Rampur, they are indicating a positive report,” she says.

In a chat, Jaya talks about the elections, being thankful for the support from Amar Singh and how her acting career has been an advantage for her political career. Excerpts:

‘AMAR SINGHJI CAME TO RAMPUR FROM THE ICU TO SUPPORT ME’
The last few weeks have been a whirlwind for her, as she joined the BJP only recently, and jumped headlong into the fray — with canvassing, election-related work, meetings, etc. “Mere liye bahut kam time mila. I just got 17 days for campaigning. I joined the party on April 28 and on May 3, I went for the nomination. I joined the party in the afternoon and within two hours, they announced my candidature from Rampur,” she informs.

That must have been a huge challenge? “Yes, it was (laughs). But maybe, it is because I have worked for 10 years and provided my services to the people of Rampur, that I didn’t have to be introduced to them. However, I was new to the party and it was the first time that I was in a national party. In the 17 days that I got, I managed to do some rigorous campaign work, but due to lack of time, there were certain places I could not visit. I had complete support from the party, especially Amar Singh ji. Even though he was in the ICU, he came directly to Rampur to support me. I am also thankful to Modi ji. If I win, it will be due to the Modi wave.” Does she think it will be a landslide victory? “Yes, for Modiji, it will be a landslide victory,” she states.

‘PEOPLE KNOW ME FROM MY FILMS, AND THAT HELPED ME IN POLITICS’
From being a well-known actress in Bollywood and the south, was it a huge change for her to join politics? “Yes, I belong to a glamorous world, but I have to say, it is a blessing to be able to go out and meet needy people,” she replies.

She also credits Bollywood for helping her get this far. “I am from the south, but people know me from my films, and that helped me adjust to the politics in the north,” she says.

‘OFFENSIVE COMMENTS HAVE BEEN DIRECTED AT ME REPEATEDLY, RIGHT FROM 2009’
Jaya Prada has also faced a barrage of sexist and offensive comments from rival Azam Khan. When we ask how she manages to move past it, she says, “Earlier, I used to be very sensitive about these things, but I think my experience made me strong. Having said that, yes, it is hurtful, because at the end of the day, I am a lady first and an MP later. These comments have been directed at me repeatedly, right from 2009. It’s 2019 now and I am still facing such remarks.”

She adds, “It’s time men changed their mentality. Why should we celebrate Women’s Day and 33% reservation for women? We engage in debates on this subject, but the reality is very different. You either need heritage of politics or strong support from a political family, which I don’t have. So, it is a struggle for a woman to establish herself.”

‘NOW, EVERYONE HAS TO WORK FOR THEIR CONSTITUENCIES, OTHERWISE, PEOPLE WILL NOT SPARE THEM’
Jaya is very clear about her reasons to be on the political turf. “Mujhe koi swarth nahi hai,” she says. “I entered politics to help NTR (Telugu matinee idol-turned-politician NT Rama Rao) and it was then that my career shifted towards politics. Also, when I was with NTR or Chandrababu (Naidu), I never expected to be a minister or be given a post. But, in public life, once people make a name for themselves, they easily forget others, particularly those from the film fraternity. Abhi hum party mein rehte hain aur hum party ke liye prachaar karte hain. Chandrababu or NTR had no time to think about a worker who did so much… jo jhanda leke chalta hai. Unko yaad karna unke liye bahut mushkil kaam hota hai shayad,” she says.

For someone who is well-versed with politics, what would she call her greatest learning? “Earlier, people would get elected and then not do anything for their constituencies. But these days, everyone has to work for their constituencies, otherwise, people will not spare them,” she says.

‘I HAVE TO WIN THE ELECTION TO PROVE A POINT’
With several hits to her credit in Bollywood and the south film industry, does she miss the world of acting? “Actually, I never really left films,” says Jaya, “Last year, six of my films released in the south and I have two projects in the pipeline. I was also doing the TV show, Perfect Pati.” If she’s elected, does she plan to take a break from acting? “Right now, my only focus is to win the election. I have to win the election to prove a point.”

‘FILM FRATERNITY HAS A POWERFUL REACH TO THE COMMON PEOPLE’
For someone who hails from the film fraternity, is she happy that Bollywood has become politically vocal? “Definitely. But this is not a recent development. It’s been happening from the time of Jayalalithaa ji and NTR, all of them knew what the people wanted. Artistes from the film fraternity have a powerful reach to the common people, whose support we need,” she explains.