Rachana Dubey (BOMBAY TIMES; February 3, 2019)

After a dancing off in the party numbers from Sonu Ke Titu Ki Sweety (SKTKS), Nushrat Bharucha recently shot a lavish dance number for her next, Dream Girl that also features Ayushmann Khurrana. The set at Film City had close to 500 dancers and the moves were choreographed by Ganesh Acharya. The song was shot last week over a period of three-four days. Talking about the shoot, Nushrat says, “I like the fact that we infused the flavour of Mathura in this number. I’m in a different avatar from the one I had in SKTKS. The song comes at an important juncture in the film where a lot gets revealed. It’s not a simple song; we had other things to incorporate in it while we were shooting. Ganesh sir has infused a lot of masti in the moves, though there aren’t too many in this song. Ayushmann and I were just supposed to enjoy the moment. We rehearsed for two-three days and initially Ganesh sir told me that I shouldn’t worry and just have fun.”

She had to curb her characteristic enthusiasm to get the nuances right. She reveals, “Ganesh sir’s moves and expressions involve a lot of detailing, which you can’t afford to miss. He adds a tadka with his moves and you really need to be a good observer to get the deft expressions right. I’ve always danced with a lot of energy, so to go soft on this track was a task. I hope I have done justice to whatever he taught me.”

Dancing with a heavy costume can always be an arduous task and recalling the fervour Nushrat says, “I have never dressed like this before. There were times when I was stepping on my own ghagra and Ayushmann was stepping on it, too. I also fell down while doing a step, but it was a lot of fun shooting for this number.”