Neha Maheshwri (BOMBAY TIMES; August 7, 2018)

Imtiaz Ali's movies have intrigued us, made us laugh, cry, and taken us through different journeys of love. Now, as his younger brother Sajid Ali steps into the world of filmmaking with Laila Majnu, starring Avinash Tiwary and Tripti Dimri, we can’t help but wonder about the kind of creative influence the older brother has on the younger sibling. Sajid admits that Imtiaz has always been an inspiration, apart from being his childhood bedtime storyteller and the go-to person during moments of crisis. Now, as the trailer of Sajid’s first film Laila Majnu releases today, we caught up with the Ali brothers who spoke about love, life and movies. Excerpts…

Imtiaz flourishes in the romance genre and his movies have always explored various facets of love. Sajid, you are hugely inspired by your brother, is that the reason why you were drawn to a romantic subject?
Sajid: Honestly, I was under-confident about making a romantic film, but I thought I should attempt it. I knew I had his (Imtiaz) backing and even if I went wrong, he would be there to guide me. I was very nervous about making a film on a man-woman relationship; something I have no clue about, while he excels in it. Also, setting the story amidst the youth of Kashmir is what interested me.
Imtiaz: I never knew that I would be good at what we call romantic films. I think you get categorised after you start making films, as that’s when people tell you what you are good at. In real life, I am not a very romantic person. In fact, I feel that I don’t make romantic films and I am not good at making them. I don’t think that any of my movies are really romantic, but it’s not up to me to say that. Some people portray in their films what they can’t do in their life, while others show exactly what they do in their life. So, which one Sajid turns out to be, only time will tell.

Sajid, what made you so nervous about dealing with a romantic subject?
Sajid: I wasn’t sure if I would be able to make my characters fall in love and convince people about it, too. I have often asked Imtiaz about how to make my characters fall in love.
Imtiaz: The only difference between Sajid and I is that he tries to understand how to make people fall in love, while I have understood that this doesn’t have to be understood at all. There is no reason for falling in love. When you understand that, you stop trying to figure it out.

Since Imtiaz is established and a force to reckon with in the industry, do you feel the pressure to live up to his image?
Sajid: Yes, I do. In fact, that was the biggest problem I faced while making this film.
Imtiaz: I think you can’t really avoid it. There are pros and cons to it. But, this is what life has given you. I can’t help being a film director and didn’t ask him to be one either. He just became one and now he has to deal with the fact that I am here. However, I am very clear about the fact that I am not going to teach anything to anyone. I had to make my own way and even Sajid will have his own journey. He’s my brother and we could influence each other’s lives, but he can never be an assistant on my set or help in editing my movies. That applies to my daughter, as well.

In today’s scenario, when filmmakers are making contemporary love stories and the youth is connecting with the language of romcoms, why did you think of making such an intense, passionate and classic story like Laila Majnu?
Imtiaz: Laila Majnu is a contemporary story relevant across generations and that’s what makes it a classic. It’s an eternal story. Such stories are more relevant, as in today’s society, people are becoming lonelier. Everyone is on a constant search for a soul mate and the need for companionship is far more than ever before. People are isolated and hence, on social media you often go nuts. So, in such times, to understand the value of connecting with someone who is almost supernatural, can be more imposing. It’s not a safe film, it’s passionate and real and sometimes, the real deal is not glamorous.

Sajid, with Imtiaz’s backing, you could have got the biggest actors for this film. But you chose fresh faces instead.
Imtiaz: We could have approached any actor, because who wouldn’t want to play Laila and Majnu. We didn’t want established faces because we didn’t want anybody to come in with a reputation. We didn’t want to know how a Ranbir Kapoor or Shah Rukh Khan does Majnu, because it becomes more about them than the subject. We want the audience to know the two actors as Laila and Majnu. So, we are aware that we will open at fewer theatres and the money we make will be lesser, but making more money was not the sole intention to make this film.
Sajid: The experience has changed and influenced me for life. He (Imtiaz) knew what Laila Majnu is all about before the film started. But, it took me some time to sink my teeth into and understand the surface of this philosophy. The story started growing on me while I was filming it.

Did you have creative differences while making the film?
Sajid: Yes, we had a lot of creative differences throughout the writing process and during the edit. Thankfully, he wasn’t there at the shoot, or I wouldn’t have been able to direct.
Imtiaz: No, you would have been able to do it because ultimately, you have a mind of your own and you listen to yourself more than anybody else. While filming, I wasn’t involved at all. A director wants to do his own thing and I did not want to override his decisions. He is far more headstrong than I am, while I am more flexible. I needed somebody who had a vision, else why the hell would I need a director? I could have directed the film myself.

Sajid, what’s your relationship like with Imtiaz as a brother and how much has he influenced you as a filmmaker?
Sajid: My entire personality is influenced by him. He is much older to me and he is the only person that I look up to. He is my Amitabh Bachchan-like figure, in fact, he is more like a dad to me. We have never lived together, but I have memories of him putting me to sleep as a child by telling me stories. I was very small when he moved to Delhi for studies. He was that ‘saat samundar paar’ rehne wala person to whom I would write letters. Every time my mother thrashed me or my dad scolded me, I would cry in my room, and I would imagine myself complaining to him (Imtiaz).

So Imtiaz, your brother just revealed how you would tell him stories as a child. It seems that you have been a storyteller for most of your life?
Sajid: I can answer that for him. He is a natural storyteller and I am not!
Imtiaz: A few nights ago, we were sitting with our daughters and telling stories to each other. Sajid, you didn’t narrate any story though. I told a story and his daughter, who is just three-years-old, told a story too. But he didn’t.
Sajid: I think my daughter might be a better storyteller than me (laughs!).

Sajid, you come across as simple and honest to a fault. Imtiaz, would you ever want him to change, especially since people in the film industry are known to not revealing their true selves. In the sense, they wear a mask, right?
Imtiaz: Wearing a mask and not being honest never works. I always say that he is genuine. If everybody had the courage to say exactly what they feel, I think they have more chances of being successful. Those who twist and turn reality according to other people have fewer chances of being successful.