Anubhav Sinha on Mulk: Can't be subtle anymore
Mulk director Sinha responds to suggestion his film could have dealt with communalism sensitively
MID-DAY (August 9, 2018)

Mulk director Anubhav Sinha says he was always keen to make a sensitive but accessible film with the Rishi Kapoor and Taapsee Pannu starrer. The film, which revolves around the plight of a Muslim family on trial in court, and in society, because their son is a terrorist, has won critical acclaim.

A large chunk of the film is set in a courtroom with the judge delivering a climactic speech, defining the message that the film hopes to deliver in these fractured times. “I wanted the audience to agree with him [judge], and I am hearing that people are standing and clapping in the final scene,” says Sinha, adding, “He has ended up representing the thought of people, which is a huge victory.”

Anubhav Sinha
Reacting to criticism that the film could have been subtler in delivering its message, Sinha said, “At a time when news channels are screaming louder than the worst crowd, you can’t be subtle if you really want to say something important. I was more interested in getting heard than being called subtle. Also, I have a take about such films. I insist that these films need to run. A film like this cannot be doing Rs 3 crore lifetime business, which means nobody saw it or only a niche audience saw it. I wanted everybody to see it. I wanted it to be accessible.”

Fortunately, Mulk has earned Rs 9.86 crore in four days since its release. Sinha, whose career has been chequered at best with films such as Tum Bin (2001) and Ra.One (2011)," said Mulk is his best offering. “Something must have shifted inside me that I changed as a filmmaker. Someone pointed out to me that I have started reading a lot over the past few years. Now, I will have to be more responsible.”