Vicky Kaushal: Bring my own expression to action scenes in Uri
Attempting stunts for the first time on screen in war drama Uri, Vicky Kaushal credits dad's background to master the art
Mohar Basu (MID-DAY; August 8, 2018)

"It's the most beautiful phase of my career. My father [Sham Kaushal] told me that he is now being referred to as Vicky's father," says Vicky Kaushal, who recently wrapped up a two-month schedule of Ronnie Screwvala's Uri in Serbia. Based on the Indian Army's surgical strike in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir in 2016, the film marks his first actioner.

Considering father Sham Kaushal is one of the most prolific action directors of Bollywood, one may assume that the genre comes naturally to him. "Subconsciously, I have an understanding of action. Given the setting of this film, there is little scope for improvisation with regard to action. But I bring my own expression to it. However, if I don't know how to perform a certain scene, I seek dad's advice," says Vicky.

Currently in Australia for the Indian Film Festival of Melbourne, he is looking forward to joining Rajkumar Hirani for a panel discussion on Sanju. "I wasn't around when Sanju released. So, this is my chance of seeing the audience reaction first-hand."