The Krish-directed film being made on the late legend is expected to kick off this month
Avinash Lohana (MUMBAI MIRROR; July 3, 2018)

Earlier this year, the hugely anticipated biopic on legendary Telugu actor-turned-politician Nandamuri Taraka Rama Rao (NTR), to be directed by Krish, was launched by Vice President M Venkaiah Naidu at the Ramakrishna Studios, Hyderabad. Now, Mirror has learnt that the film, that has Nandamuri Balakrishna in the titular role, will feature Vidya Balan as NTR’s wife, Basavatarakam (right), who he had married at the age of 20.

Meanwhile, the film marks the Telugu debut of Bengali actor Jisshu Sengupta as the late filmmaker and Dadasaheb Phalke awardee L V Prasad (right, below), and Rana Daggubati is on board to play Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister Chandrababu Naidu (left, below).

Vidya and Rana remained unavailable for comment but Jisshu, who is presently recuperating after a gall bladder surgery confirmed the news. This will be his second film with Krish after playing King Gangadhar Rao, Rani Lakshmibai’s husband, in Manikarnika: The Queen of Jhansi, the upcoming Hindi film that has Kangana Ranaut in the lead. “As a producer, LV Prasad ji’s films revolved around catastrophic romances with theatrical characters and memorable music. As an actor and director, he chose subjects that were emotional, dramatic and driven by performances. I have begun my prep for the film as Krish has given me a lot of content to browse through. This will be my first ever stint in the South industry and I’m quite excited and nervous at the same time,” Jisshu said, adding that he has even shot at Prasad Studios and Prasad Film Labs in Hyderabad.

“But I never imagined I will get to play a pioneer filmmaker like him one day. He was the one to introduce NTR in the 1949 Telugu patriotic film Mana Desam and they were very close. I play a very important part in the film,” the actor added, further revealing that he starts shooting for the film on July 6.

As part of his prep, Jisshu is also learning Telugu. “I will reserve one week for extensive language training with my tutor when I reach Hyderabad. I have also told Krish that it would be great if I can meet anyone from Prasad ji’s family,” he informed.

The film marks his first collaboration with Vidya and Rana. “I am not sure about Rana’s part, but I am told that Vidya is playing NTR’s wife. I am looking forward to working with them. I have known Vidya for a while. In fact, she played the lead role in the Hindi version of my Bengali film, Rajkahini,” Jisshu said.